Sunday Scoop with the Supe
November 26, 2023
News and Notes from the VPSS Central Office
From the desk of the Superintendent:
First off, I hope all of you had a very enjoyable Thanksgiving break and I look forward to seeing all of us back at it Monday morning for the final push of the second nine weeks and the first semester.
Whether you were able to take a small vacation, do a little Christmas shopping and decorating, spend time with family or just chill out and eat a lot, all of it was well deserved by our stakeholders. Thanksgiving week always comes at a time where getting away from the daily school grind does everyone some good and hopefully rejuvenates us all for a big push to end the first semester and second nine weeks.
Just a few tidbits to share this week:
- A reminder to all that the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas is always an exciting time with lots of fun and activities. However, we must make sure that our academics stays a priority and we finish the grading period strong.
- High school students need to be reminded that if they are in semester courses, these next four weeks are the conclusion of your courses and constitute your final grade. Don't let it slip away.
- High School athletes need to be reminded that must meet the LHSAA academic requirement at mid-term in order to continue playing athletics for the remainder of the year. Check with your school's athletic director to see where you stand.
- Over the next couple of weeks, chorus and band concerts will take place across the parish. I hope you get the opportunity to experience a performance and see the amazing talent that our district has to offer.
Again I hope all of you enjoyed your break and I hope that together we all make sure we finish the semester strong as we get close to wrapping it up and ushering in 2024.
Have a great week, and thank you for being "Vermilion Proud"
Your Partner in Education,
Superintendent Tommy Byler
Final Countdown to Purchase Tickets
We are getting close to the annual Mendoza Ford Vermilion Parish Schools Vehicle Raffle and want to remind you one last time that it is not to late to purchase tickets for your chance to win a Ford F-150 Truck.
Our sales are a little behind of where we hoped that they would be, but we will continue to keep pushing the sales for a few more days in an effort to raise as much as we can.
Please remember that every single dollar collected for this raffle is put back into our schools that sell the tickets. Thank you in advance for purchasing a ticket.
District events for the week of November 27th
- Monday, November 27th
- Fall Make-Up LEAP Testing Opens (HS Only) - Selected Students have been informed.
- Tuesday, November 28th
- Task Force on Student Fees and Supplies Committee Meeting - 4 pm
- Wednesday, November 29th
- BESE Accountability Meeting - Baton Rouge (Superintendent)
- Thursday, November 30th
- Superintendent Advisory Council - Baton Rouge (Superintendent)
- Friday, December 1st
- Parish Ed Rising Students - Central Office Day
- LOOKING AHEAD...
- December 22 - Half Day of School - Begin Christmas/Winter Break
- December 22 - End of 2nd Nine Weeks Grading and First Semester