Also Known As
Scientific Name: Hypophthalmichthys moltrix
Commonly known as: Silver Carp
Is He on Land or on Water?
It lives in water, but can jump out of water when startled
- Silver when it's at youth , with a bit of green on it's back. When it gets older the belly turns silver
- Head & Opercles are scaleless
- Large mouth w/o teeth in jaw, but it has pharyngeal teeth
- Eyes are forward on the mid-line of the body & are slightly turned down
Where is Native to?
The Silver carp is native to Eastern Asia (From the Amur River of far eastern Russia south through much of eastern half of China to Pearl River, possibly including northern Vietnam.)
- Feeds on Plankton that other organisms require causing competition
- Jumps out of water when startled & and could cause harm to people
Where do they occur?
The map points out where the carp is mostly active, they run Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, South Dakota, Tennessee (Mid-Western USA
How do Carps Spread?
Silver Carp is imported & stocked for phyto-plankton control, escaped from fish hatcheries into natural waters
How to control these Carps
Shock treatment, Carpicide, building fences, harvesting them