One Team, One Dream
Vol. 1, Issue 4 September 21 - 25, 2015
Entering the fifth week of school, as a team we want to ensure that lines of communication are open and that information is making to all concerned parties. To that end, each teacher is maintaining a page on the School’s website, printed newsletters and Tuesday folders will continue and a digital newsletter is available for those who prefer the digital format.
This Week's Highlights
Monday, September 21st
Tuesday, September 22nd
Wednesday, September 23rd
Thursday, September 24th
Coffee with the Counselor
Friday, September 25th
Parents, the 6th Grade team will use the following weighted grading system to record grades for the assignments your child will do this year:
- Bell Ringer Activities: 10%
- Class work / Quizzes: 30%
- Tests: 40%
- Homework: 10%
- Participation: 10%
Additionally, the team has adopted a Zeroes Aren't Permitted (ZAP) policy. Meaning that students are expected to do the work rather than taking a zero.
English / Language Arts
Book projects are due September 30th.
Science / Social Studies
Matter and Energy
- Calculate density to identify an unknown substance
- Identify evidence of a chemical change: production of gas, change in temperature
Social Studies Focus
- Identify the location and physical characteristics of the countries in South Africa; discuss the population, government, climate, economy and culture
The textbook for Science this year is STEMscopedia and in addition to have a textbook, digital resources are available to students via the Accelerated Learning website.
The student log-in information is:
- Username: initials plus student ID number
- Password: risd
The text for Social Studies this year is Studies Weekly. Students will begin have assigned readings from this document beginning the week of September 21, 2015.
Reminders to Students
· Bring money and order form for Skyview T-shirt
· Bring back documents requiring parent signature in Tuesday Folder
· Bring all supplies to school each day to ensure you are prepared for all classes
Helpful Hints for Parents
Help your child to stay organize:
· Find a designated quiet place for homework
· Have a designated time for your child to do homework, for example every evening from 6:00 – 7:30pm
· Have your child pack their backpack at night with all their materials
· Have your child remove any unneeded items from their backpack once a week
Congratulations and Celebrations
To the following students selected to be members of Skyview Elementary Peer Mediation Team:
De’Ajanay K., Sheena P., and Brianna S.
To the following students selected to members of the Skyview Basketball Club:
JaQualin B., Kiara D., Kymoria G., Tamari J., Heaven S., Jacorey S., Jayden S., Jaleel T., Jayden T., Lyrique T., Ma’Leeyon W., and Team Managers Sol C. and Aniya H.