March 27, 2015
We learned about St. Patrick's Day and Spring!
Look at what we did!
- In reading, we noticed the characteristics of Dr. Seuss books and how they rhyme with real and made up words. We also started our unit on How To books and started with St. Patrick's Day by Gail Gibbons. We learned the words "tradition", "custom", "celebrate", and "decoration". Ask us to use them in a sentence!
- In math we continued to learn that a number can be made in several different ways. For example 4 is 4 and 0, 3 and 1, 2 and 2, 1 and 3, and 0 and 4. We also tried thinking about word problems and possible solutions if we have some of one thing and some of another.
- In word work, we learned onset and rime to break words apart into the first part and the rest. For example, "cat" is "c-at"! Give us some one-syllable words to try!
- In writing, we finished our unit How To writings. We know that we have to be specific in our directions to help our reader really understand. It was a lot of fun to learn how to make soda bread then try it!
Here are the sight words we are currently working on. Please review these words with your child. Writing sentences, flash cards, and pointing out the sight words around them or in Take Home Books are all great ways to practice the words. We have found that when your child is able to read the words with little hesitation, they are much more successful with reading the books at their level because they can then focus on decoding other unknown words in texts.
I, can, see, a, go, to, like, the, look, at, me, my, am, is, we, will, you, are, come, here, have, and, because, it, in, up, get, put, do, he, she, this, all, for, went, so, no
Saturday Makeup Day
- The school day will go from 7:50am -12:00pm.
- Breakfast and lunch will be served if your child needs one.
- If you have a dismissal change that is different from a normal school day, please be sure to put a note in your child's blue folder.
- What will the day consist of? Because we understand that prior commitments may take precedence over coming to school this day, we will be doing review activities for both math and reading as well as trying to meet with every single reading group. New information will not be taught.
If we see your child that day, GREAT! If not, have a wonderful weekend!
Upcoming Event and Reminders
- March 30-April 3: Spring Break. Enjoy!
- Sat, Apr 11 7:50am-12:00pm: Saturday Makeup Day
- Sat, Apr 25: 5k for Fitness
Next Week, we will...
- Spend lots of time with family and friends
- Sleep in
- Stay up late
- Play outside
- Read books (hopefully…)