Fall Update for GMS Families
Gettys Middle School - Easley, SC
7th Grade Volleyball Champions
Our 7th grade Volleyball Team, Head Coach Shane Metcalf and Assistant Coach Breazeale are champions of our region in the Anderson-Oconee-Pickens Conference! The Gettys 7th grade Volleyball team was undefeated in all 7th grade-only contests this season, posting an impressive 11-0 record! Our region teams include: RC Edwards, Glenview, McCants, Robert Anderson and Seneca Middle School. Congratulations to Assistant Coach Breazeale on a great season! This championship is coming after the prior year's eighth grade team won back-to-back championships. Our 8th grade team this year also had a successful season and we look forward to more volleyball championships in the future.
Parent Choice: Families Can Declare Mode of Schooling By Nov. 23
The first day of the second semester is January 20, 2021, and now it is time to prepare for it. We need a Second Semester Declaration of Intent for every student. It is due by Monday, November 23 at noon.
If you have not already done so, please click here to submit a Second Semester Declaration of Intent for each student.
During the summer, we said each family would have the option of choosing between traditional (face-to-face & remote) instruction at a school or virtual instruction at Pickens County Virtual Academy (PCVA) for the second semester.
- The timeframe for making this choice started on Monday, 11/2 and ends on Monday, 11/23 at noon.
- Access to the Second Semester Declaration of Intent will not be available after the deadline on Monday, 11/23 at noon.
- If you do not respond, your students will stay in the same placement as the first semester. However, we request to have a declaration for all students.
- If you submit and then change your mind, you can resubmit before the deadline. The most recent response will be used to determine placement.
For more information about second semester that may influence your decision, please visit our website.
Chorus Students Sing At Fall Mini-Concert
Our Chorus students performed virtually for our school and families from the William H. Scott Auditorium. The students may have to wear masks and socially distance of six feet or more but we are so proud of our Chorus students for finding a way to showcase their singing talents. Mrs. Terry Batson and Mr. Jon Reid directed our outstanding grade level choirs. See their performances below:
8th grade link: https://youtu.be/-PKr_erqODg
7th grade link: https://youtu.be/rLXTSCTeN4I
6th grade link: https://youtu.be/Z9sr2FNyAdE
Enter repair information into the Google Form and Mrs. Nelson will meet with you at school and escort you to the Tech Support Room for additional information and service.
Gettys Middle Information For Declaration
Bus transportation may result in quarantines as any student seated within 6 feet of another student that tests positive must quarantine for 14 days. We have had 13 students to quarantine from being close contacts with another student on a bus.
PCVA instruction is not the Live WebEx that you have experienced in remote weeks or in 4th Quarter from last year. PCVA uses Odysseyware, which is a purchased curriculum in which students watch videos and read text to learn. A student has the flexibility to determine when they complete this work. Currently, we have approximately 75 families that have already chosen PCVA for the second semester.
There are many factors to consider and we will support your decision. If you need any additional information for this declaration decision that has to be made by noon on 11/23 please contact our main office at 397-3900.
Gettys Middle Salutes Our Veterans
Attendance and Student Responsibility During Remote Weeks
Students are responsible for daily attendance each period during remote learning weeks. They are also responsible for completing all assignments. According to attendance guidelines from the South Carolina Department of Education, a student is marked present only if he/she meets one of the below criteria:
- Attends the live Webex with the teacher.
- Views the recorded Webex & completes a verification activity assigned by the teacher.
- Completes the teacher-assigned activities by the deadlines posted.
SDPC has posted the Remote Learning Expectations information for students and families HERE.
Please review this student agenda and handbook with your child.
After-School Program Gettys U Has Begun and Is Accepting Applications
It is important that all families sign up for Schoology on their computer or the app for their phones. You can have access to daily grades, upcoming assignments and information from teachers. This is a great resource!
We have reduced capacity for all athletic events with required social distancing of 6 feet for the safety of all in attendance. The best way to secure a ticket for the big game is to purchase in advance of your contest.
GETTYS CALENDAR OF EVENTS
- 11/23 Classes are in Schoology Only-Students complete work on their own.
- 11/24 Classes are in Schoology Only-Students complete work on their own.
- 11/30 Boys Basketball Home vs McCants starting 5:30 pm
- 11/30 Girls Basketball Away at McCants 5:30 pm
- 12/3 Girls Basketball Home vs McCants 5:30 pm
- 12/3 Boys Basketball Away vs McCants 5:30 pm
- 12/7 Girls Basketball Home vs Robert Anderson 5:30 pm
- 12/7 Boys Basketball Away vs Robert Anderson 5:30 pm
- 12/10 Boys Basketball Home vs Robert Anderson 5:30 pm
- 12/10 Girls Basketball Away vs Robert Anderson 5:30 pm
- 12/14 Boys Basketball Home vs Glenview 5:30 pm
- 12/14 Girls Basketball Away vs Glenview 5:30 pm
- 12/17 Girls Basketball Home vs Glenview 5:30 pm
- 12/17 Boys Basketball Away vs Glenview 5:30 pm
- 12/18 Classrooms are in Schoology Only-Students complete work on their own.
- 1/4/21 Classes resume after Winter Break