Welcome to Mrs. Reynolds' Class
Welcome to Georgia Virtual School!
My name is Iara Reynolds and I am your math instructor this semester with GA Virtual School. I have been teaching math for 13 years, 8 of which have been with GaVS. I live in Dacula, GA with my husband (John) and 4 kids (Mae-8, Reyn-7, Millie-5, and Mac-2). One of my favorite things to do with my family is go to Disney World! We go a few times every year and we love it! When I am not working, I enjoy being creative and making stuff. My newest favorite thing to do is refinish furniture.
I am looking forward to a great semester!
Student Orientation Course
The student’s first task is to complete the Student Orientation Course. It is important to complete topics in order and complete all items on the checklist.
The following items are required for the completion of the Student Orientation Course (SOC):
- students complete all sign off
- students complete all agreement quizzes
- students make a 100% on the final Student Orientation Quiz.
- Students may choose to opt out of the Student Orientation Course; however, students who elect to opt out of the Student Orientation Course are still responsible for all content presented in the course.
Students must finish or opt out of the SOC before gaining access to the course.
Important Parent Information: How to Check Your Child's Grade
The Parent Account gives you information about your child’s grades and progress in their course. If your child’s grade drops below a 75, you will receive an automated phone call. If your child’s grade drops below a 70, you will receive a phone call from me.
If you already have a parent account please do NOT create a new one.
1) Please check to see that your parent account is linked to your student’s account.
2) For more information click Help on the Log in page or click the following link. http://helpdesk.gavirtuallearning.org/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/14/gavs-parent-info
If you are uncertain about whether you have a parent account or not,
1) Log in to GAVS at www.gavirtualschool.org and at the Log In page type in your username and password.
2) For more information click Help at the top of the Log In page or click the following link. http://helpdesk.gavirtuallearning.org/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/14/gavs-parent-info
*Information for parents who have NEVER created a parent account.
1) Login to our website www.gavirtualschool.org
2) Click the “Log In To GAVS” icon
3) Click “Create An Account” from the navigation bar.
4) You will need to know your child’s GTID and date of birth.
5) Please follow the directions on the screen.
6) Be sure you have linked your parent account to your student’s account.
7) For more information simply click HELP at the top of the Log In page or click the following link. http://helpdesk.gavirtuallearning.org/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/14/gavs-parent-info
D2L Help Sessions
Georgia Virtual School will have D2L Help Sessions for students and parents on Adobe Connect on the following dates:
Tuesday, August 20 at 11AM
Thursday, August 22 at 7PM
Tuesday, September 3 at 11AM
Thursday, September 5 at 7PM
Tuesday, September 17 at 11AM
Thursday, September 19 at 7PM
You will join by entering the meeting as a Guest. Your username is your first and last name. Here is the link to join each D2L Session:
The space for each session is limited. We ask everyone to join the session using only ONE computer at your home. If the session is full, the recording will be posted within the learning management system and you will have an opportunity to review the recording OR attend another upcoming meeting. The schoolwide D2L meetings are separate from individual Welcome sessions held by each teacher.
You can watch the recording of my first welcome session by clicking here: http://gavirtualschool.adobeconnect.com/p4gm92a0ocs/
My next live welcome session is on August 20th at 8pm. You can use the following link to join the session: http://gavirtualschool.adobeconnect.com/r4xzj6mrxq8/. Make plans to either attend the live Welcome or watch the recording.
Late Work Policy
Technical difficulties are not an excuse for assignments to be late. Students must have computer access to complete GAVS work. It is the student’s responsibility to secure backup computer options when technical difficulties arise. Many public libraries offer computers with Internet access. Additionally, GAVS courses can be accessed on a variety of mobile devices so it may be that a mobile device could be used to complete some coursework when there are computer problems.
*If you are a special education student and would like GAVS to consider making accommodations for you, please fax a copy of your IEP or 504 Plan to 770-357-3704. If you do not have a copy, please contact your facilitator.
Please be aware of the pacing guide and due dates for all assignments. Extensions past the last day of school will NOT be granted. All student work is due biweekly on Fridays at midnight. Check course schedules for course assignments and specific due dates. Work turned in after the deadline on the course schedule will be accepted within 1 week with a late penalty assessed. Late penalty begins on Saturday and is deducted at a rate of 10% of the assignment value per school day. Work submitted on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday is considered 1 day late.
Late Work Policy Example: David turns in an assignment at 3:15 pm on Sunday. He scores a 7 out of 15 on the assignment. David will lose 1.5 points on this assignment (15 * .10) and the score recorded in the grade book is 5.5/15. A note should be made in the grade book detailing the late work deduction.
- Be sure that you have followed the directions for Google Mail, located on the GaVS Homepage. This will ensure that you receive all of my emails and updates.
- Students, be sure that you email me from your GAVS address.
- Students & Parents, please include your full name (parent & student) AND the course of enrollment, as well as a good contact number. This is the best way to ensure speedy answers and communication. Be as specific with questions/concerns.
- Students, please set your email signature to include your name and the course you're taking with me. See the video below for instructions on how to do this.