The Excel Model
CC Spaulding Capturing Kids Hearts
What is the EXCEL Model?
X-plore - Get in touch with where the learners are , emotionally and academically
Communcate - Communicate the content of the class
Empower - Empower the learner
Launch - Launch is a meaningful ending.
- Take the "temperature of the class" Greeting students at the door gives you insight into any outside problems/concerns that may be brought into class.
- This models appropriate social and professional skills that students can use in their daily lives.
- Don't use student greeters as a way to avoid being at the door.
X-PLORE: Get in touch with where the learners are personally, emotionally and academically:
- Students have a prompt, question, problem to get them thinking while others are coming in.
- Good Things- This will feel awkward at first, be patient
- "Process" the journal/question/problem- Quickly share some of the thoughts, ideas and observations from the X-Plore
- Address the needs discovered in the X-PLORE step.
- Two-way process and should include some dialogue with learners
- Flexibility & Creativity are essential. Students need to practice thinking through questions. Have other learners share their "thinking process"
- Make "real world benefit" whenever possible.
- Students gain the ability to "use and do". Time for them to practice and apply what they have learned.
- Students should feel free to fail. They should have encouragement and support from teacher and other students.
- "I do." "We do." "You do."
- End & Send
- Summary of what has happened and a charge forward.
- Give students a "flight plan" for how they can use the learning.
- Quotes, poems, idea, task,stories, songs, "Exit Tickets" phrases that send students out the door thinking.