Sunday, August 30
Events for this week:
9/2 7:00-8:00 Paper Schedules available at WMS
9/3 6:00-7:30 Virtual Meet the Teacher Event
Thank you for your support,
~Mrs. Broudy, Principal
In-Person Schedule Pickup Night-September 2 7:00-8:00
Virtual Meet the Teacher Event Thursday, September 3 6:00-7:30
If your student needs a laptop or a hotspot...
Laptops available for pickup on Monday thru Friday (8/31/20 and 9/4/20) between 9:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.
We are recommending that:
- If your student’s last name begins with the letters A-L, please go to the pickup location between 9:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
- If your student’s last name begins with the letters M-Z, please go to the pickup location between 1:30-5:30 p.m.
- Please know that the first day of distribution has been our busiest day and you could experience long wait times. We do have enough Laptops for every HCPS Secondary student.
- We will also be using the same distribution hubs to deploy Elementary technology devices.
Who is eligible to receive a Laptop?
- Any Henrico Middle School and High School student who is registered at an HCPS secondary school and does not have a laptop currently. Secondary students enrolled last year should already have their issued Laptop and Charger.
What can I expect when I pick up the Laptop for my student?
- Please follow the established traffic pattern. Pull into the bus loop to get in line. There will be an individual directing traffic. During the pick-up process, remain in your vehicle at all times.
- Clearly write/print your student’s first and last name(s) on a sheet of paper and bring it with you. You would then show that paper when it’s your turn to receive a Laptop. Our staff will reference the sheet of paper and locate the name(s) in our system.
- A staff member will approach your vehicle and ask for your child’s name and school, and your name. You will need to show valid identification and the individual picking up the device must be the student (if driving) or a contact in HCPS’ PowerSchool student information system and associated with the student being assigned a device.
- You will be asked if you have internet service in your home, and if you do not, you will be offered a Wi-Fi hot-spot device, if available (supplies are limited).
- Proceed to receive a Laptop and charger. You’ll receive information about the Laptop and the conditions of borrowing one. If you agree, the laptop will be placed in your vehicle’s back seat or trunk.
- Throughout this process, all staff members will minimize contact and exercise safe practices.
What is needed for a Laptop to work?
- Internet service is required for the Laptop to fully function and connect to digital resources that will be provided to students by their teachers.
Where should I go if the Laptop is broken or does not work?
- Remember, to function well, all Laptops and chargers must be cared for appropriately.
- If Laptops develop problems, they can be brought to a mobile technology hub to be turned in for repair. For the weeks of the August 24th and 31st, the hours of support for the 4 mobile support hubs will change to all day from 8:30-4:30 and support will be Monday through Friday.
- Deep Run High School (4801 Twin Hickory Road, Glen Allen, Va.)
- Douglas Freeman High School (8701 Three Chopt Road, Henrico, Va.)
- Hermitage High School (8301 Hungary Spring Road, Henrico, Va.)
- Highland Springs High School (15 S. Oak Ave., Highland Springs, Va.)
- Friday, September 4th, will be the last day of technical support for all students at the 4 remote support hubs and support for all students will transition to all secondary schools the following week.
- Starting September 8th ,Tuesday – Support for students will be available at secondary school locations during the typical school hours. Secondary students will go to their assigned school for support and elementary students can go to the closest high school for technical support. This support will include student device repairs, device swaps and any other needed support. Hotspots for internet access will also be available at each secondary school while supplies last. Please call the school and make an appointment if you require face to face technical support.
What if I don’t have internet service in my home for the Laptop?
- HCPS will loan you a Wi-Fi hot-spot device while supplies last. Additionally, Comcast is offering free and low-cost internet at this time for qualifying families. To see if you qualify for their promotion, visit Comcast’s “Internet Essentials” website. The website for the promotion is internetessentials.com/covid19. If you want to apply for Internet Essentials over the phone please call 1-855-8-INTERNET (1-855-846-8376). Comcast’s call center hours of operation are from 8 a.m. to midnight, seven days a week.
- HCPS will issue Wi-Fi a hot-spot device, if available (supplies are limited) for those students without internet.
Is the Laptop set up to safely avoid access to inappropriate web content?
- Yes. Every Laptop is filtered by HCPS’ web filtering system to provide as secure an environment for students as possible. Students should use technology responsibly at all times.
When do I need to return the Laptop and charger my family has received?
- A date will be announced later for the return of each Laptop. Until then, each Laptop and charger must be properly cared for.