December 4th Weekly Staff Newsletter
Staff Member of the Month - December
A little bit about Michelle:
* I have been with RISD 33 years. 11 years as a student, 1990 Berkner Graduate and 22 years as a Bronco!
* I taught 7/8 Science for 21 years before becoming an Instructional Coach at West. I was also an Athletic Coach from 1994-2003.
* I have been married 19 years with 2 awesome kids. Emily is a junior at RHS and Nicholas is an 8th grader at Murphy Middle School.
* I graduated from Stephen F Austin in 1994 with a degree in Interdisciplinary Studies with Physical Science and Reading Endorsements. I have a grade 1-8 generalist and ESL certification as well. I hope to start my Masters by next fall with Stephen F Austin (online) in Curriculum and Instruction with Technology.
* We are a huge Ranger Family and are excited to travel to Chicago to see the Rangers play the Cubs in Wrigley field July 17.
* Whether it is a little trinket, lessons, candy, hug, school supplies, baked goodies and much more, I love to give.
* One of my strong characteristics is organizing. Not so much paperwork but activities.
* I am the Fellowship Coordinator for church and this gives me the opportunity to plan and organize fun stuff for the members.
* One of my favorite passages is Proverbs 3.
* My 2015 -2016 motto: Life is easier when we think and act like a proton and not like an electron.
Download Shoparoo and Help Earn $$ for West!
A note from Kimberly
Only 10 more days until Christmas break and 10 more days of sunshine to go! I hope everyone is enjoying the fun and treats everyday. It's a very small way to say how much we all appreciate what you do everyday.
The app Shoparoo is still available! Anyone with 500 points by the end of December will receive a jeans pass.
This Saturday night is the Holiday party and I can't wait to see everyone there! It is sure to be good times. :) Even if you can't stay the whole time, please swing by for a little while.
The blood drive went off without a hitch! Thank you Marie and Joelle for making sure it ran smoothly and taking care of all of us. We appreciate you.
We are gearing up for final exams this week. Please be sure you are encouraging students to begin studying early and communicating with parents how they can support you and their student in class. (Especially 7th grade parents).
On to another week everyone!
STAR Teacher - Jennifer Senter
Who's Working at West? Get to know - Omar Pastrana
1.) What is your most memorable moment (or one of your most memorable moments) from your teaching career?
My first year in robotics was very interesting. Trying to learn and grow a robotics team was challenging and Oh! I had no idea what I was doing. Myself and four students spent several hours a day learning how to build and what parts were called. There was laughter and frustration that eventually brought us to competing at nationals. The students shared my passion and watching them learn and grow was phenomenal.
2.) It’s a snow day! What activity do you do with your children?
I love to make. DIY is what runs in my blood. If someone else can do it then I should be able to do it. Probably not as well but it's fun to learn. I want my children to learn this. So on days off we build forts, do crafts and make a mess while learning and playing.
3.) Human cybernetics technology hits a boom, allowing individuals to replace any and every part of their body with mechanical counterparts. You decide to undergo cybernetic enhancement. Do you replace your arms, legs or eyes?
I would love to replace my left eye with the sci-fi ironman style video overlays. You could get all the internet searching done by whispering commands and also receive news and notifications. If I was the first of this kind I couldn't help but feel obligated to join the FBI and fight crime.
4.) Apple or PC?
I just finished reading Steve Jobs' biography and enjoy one big thing about his technique. The company has control of the whole design process and user experience. This allows the products to be full of intentional decisions... and they are pretty to look at.
Upcoming Dates - December
December 1—TEEN SCREEN (7th grade students with permission may be called from your class throughout the day)
December 2—TEEN SCREEN (7th grade students with permission may be called from your class throughout the day)
December 2—Faculty Meeting
December 3—Progress Reports Due
December 4—Blood Drive (Small Gym)
December 4—First Friday at the Taco Joint
December 10—Gamify Your Classroom PD at 3:45pm (OPTIONAL)
December 11—Winter Wonderland Dance (7pm-9pm)
December 12—Staff Christmas Party (The Line)
December 13—Broncos Support Broncos (Duke’s Ice House)
December 16—Locker Clean Out during Advisory
December 16—Faculty Meeting
December 17—Early Release (12:30pm)
December 17—Pay Day
December 18—Early Release (12:30pm)
December 18—Grades Due