The Black History
First Black to speak in congress ( Jeffreson Franklin Long )
- Jefferson Franklin Long was the first black member to be in the house of representatives.
- He was born a slave in Knoxville Georgia.
- By 1870 he had become active in Georgia education association.
- Republicans elected him to run in the 41st congress.
- Freedmen marched to the polls and a riot broke out with white and black men.
Benjamin T Montgomery
- His younger brother became president of the confederate states of America.
- His brother assigned him to run general store of his plantation.
- His son was also given an opportunity of receiving an education.
- After his death his son purchased 840 acres of land for a community of freed slaves.
- The Davis family taught him many skills he needed.