News From Our 5th Grade Classroom 2/5/16
What's Happening in the Classroom
Notes from the Teacher
We will have a small Valentine's Day celebration on Thursday 2/11 in the afternoon. Student will have an opportunity to pass out Valentine's Day cards. I will bring in a treat for the class. We will complete a Valentine's Day writing activity, read some Valentine's Day books, and watch a small 15 minute movie about the history of Valentine's Day. Attached to the email is a list of all the students we have in class.
We are out of classroom dry erase markers. Any donations would be greatly appreciated for the students.
Your child will hopefully get their new AR goals at the end of next week. These point will be due the last day of the grading period (3/18).
Save the Date! The Central Elementary Music program will be Tuesday, April 12, at 7:00 p.m. Mr. Meyer, the music teacher, will send a more formal letter home at a later date.
Cookies and Coffee for Soldiers!
Student Council's next project for February and March:
- Central School is collecting 1 pound bags of coffee and packaged cookies from Friday, Feb 17-Friday, March 18.
- The Military Support Group in Indianapolis will box them and prepare all the labels and forms.
- You can help by donating coffee (1 pound bags of ground coffee) and cookies (packaged varieties of all kinds in boxes or tins).
- Leave your donations on the table by the cafeteria starting Friday, February 17.
- Thank you for helping us send the troops a little taste of home!
In math, we will continue working in Unit 6-Fractions/Percents/Decimals. We will be examining how to compare fractions and adding and subtracting fractions (standard method).
In Writing, we will type up our biographies in Google Docs.
We will take a break from language lessons after this unit to complete some ISTEP prep work in writing.
In Reading, we will wrap up Unit 7: Draw Conclusions and Making Inferences. We will take the Unit 7 test on Monday and complete some Simple 6 Writing activities.
In Social Studies, we will continue ISTEP prep revising some topics that we have learned about this school year. We will also watch review videos on BrainPop and Discovery Education.
Spelling List for This Week
Dates to Remember
February 12-15-No School
February 29-ISTEP Applied Skills testing window is open (I will notify parents with a schedule as soon as possible)