The Panther Post
February 9, 2024 Volume 79
* BACED rotation schedule for week 26, 2/12-2/16
* Advisory is scheduled for Tuesday, February 13th
* February is Black History month!!
* Parents can pay fees online by clicking DMS fee payment on our website or bring a check or cash to the front office
* Spring 2024 sports will kick off this week and next with boys/girls soccer, baseball and softball!! Schedules are in the newsletter!
* 2/14/24 - Collaborative half day - 12:15 pm student dismissal
* 2/19/24 - NO SCHOOL for Presidents' Day Holiday!!
* 2/22/24 - DMS "Panther Prowl" for rising 6th grade students for 24-25 school yea
* 2/23/24 - 8th grade ONLY Bob Jones Patriot Expedition
* 2/26/24 - DMS "Parent University/Showcase"
* 3/8/24 - End of 3rd 9 weeks
* 3/11-3/15/24 - Spring Break
* 3/20/24 - 8th grade panoramic picture in gym at 2:00 pm
* 3/25-4/5/24 - ACAP schedule TBA
We love our counselors!
Madison Street Festival Grants
Congratulations to Mrs. Cox, Mrs. Baragona, and Ms. Rose who received grants from the Madison Street Festival.
Discovery Middle School | “ESL Program-Multilingual Classroom Library”
Funds will be used for the establishment of a multilingual classroom library that caters to the diverse linguistic backgrounds of their students. This library will contain books in a wide range of languages, including but not limited to Spanish, Russian, Japanese, Chinese and many others.
Discovery Middle School | “Creative Writing-Project Poetry”
Funding will be used for students in creative writing classes to access poetry materials which will help promote different kinds of art/writing through manipulatives so students can practice accessible, hands-on poetry.
Discovery Middle School | “Turning Tables”
Funding will be used to bring the ThinkLive! turntables into Makerspace and STEM classes at Discovery. Lessons with ThinkLive! focus on math and science while incorporating the “A” in STEAM. The virtual software will allow teachers to use the program with classes in the Makerspace area or their classrooms.
Congratulations to Samuel Bae who represented Discovery at the Madison County Spelling Bee.
DMS Winter Guard
Congratulations to the DMS Winter Guard for taking 1st place at the SCGC, Color Guard-Percussion-Winds Competition in Mt. Juliet, TN.
DMS Indoor Drumline
Congratulations to the DMS Indoor Drumline on a great performance at Mt. Juliet.
Last week the team participated in the Liberty tournament and the top twelve shot a 3008 coming in second to Liberty, 3009. Top scorers: Zoie Chamness (7thgrade) 266, Will Stasiunas (8th grade) 264, and Emmy Held (6th grade) 264.
This week the team participated in the JC tournament and the top twelve shot a 3033 coming in second to Buckhorn Middle, 3090 but beating Liberty this time. Top scorers Kennedy Craft, (7th grade) 271, Emmy Held (6th grade) 263, Nikith Abburi (8th grade), 258 and Zoie Chamness (6th grade) 258.
In archery, although the whole team shoots, only the top twelve are totaled in the final results, of which four must be the opposite gender. The team will participate in Regional competition at the end of the month and State competition in April. If the team continues on this 3000 roll, they will most likely qualify for National competition in May.
- Please ensure that your students adhere to the dress code. All clothing must meet appropriate guidelines as noted in the DMS Student Handbook and MCS Code of Conduct. Also, students may bring a jacket or sweater if they are cold; however, blankets and stuffed animals are not allowed as a cover at school.
- Attendance is very important. Please be sure to send absence notes to email@example.com whenever your student is absent from school.
- Students should arrive to class on time and be in their seats when the tardy bell rings.
- For morning drop off and afternoon dismissal, parking in the front northeast lot or in the loop at the front office will soon require a clearly marked parking pass. Those without this pass are asked to use the car line. Thanks to everyone for using the car line unless you have an "approved reason" from the DMS administration. Approved reasons are for SRO, medical/emergency, special needs, late arrival, etc. We are working for the safety of all of our students and staff at DMS. Thank you for your continued support!
Lost and Found
- Please encourage your students to check the DMS Lost & Found near the front office if they have misplaced any items.
- The Lost and Found will be cleared out on the first day of each month and unclaimed items will be donated to a worthy cause.
Nurse Kemi is in need of supplies for the school's clinic and for the Care Closet. Please consider purchasing items from the amazon wishlist!
The DMS PTA has open positions: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested! The VP of Programs will plan and coordinate a few activities throughout the school year, and will serve as a voting member of the DMS PTA Executive Board.
It's time to plan the 2024 DMS Spring Dance! We need volunteers to lead the planning efforts. Email email@example.com if you are interested in planning a fun night of music and dancing!
The Board interest form for joining the 2024/2025 DMS PTA is open: The Nominating Committee of the DMS PTA Board is seeking input for interest in serving on the 2024-25 PTA Board. Click here for more info.
Have you linked your Kroger account to the Discovery Middle School PTA? The Kroger Community Rewards program makes fundraising easy by donating to local organizations based on the shopping you do every day. Once you link your Kroger Rewards Card to an organization, all you have to do is shop at Kroger and swipe your Shopper’s Card, and Kroger will donate a portion of your total to the organization of your choice. Your price stays the same.
If you haven't purchased your membership yet, please consider joining today. Who can join the DMS PTA? Everyone! Families, teachers, administrators, staff, grandparents, aunts, uncles, friends, even businesses can join the PTA. The number one reason to join the Parent Teacher Association is to benefit your child. In doing so, you also help your school. Thank you to everyone that has joined for the 2023/2024 school year!