QSSSA: de Zavala
Based on 7 Steps to Building a Language Rich Classroom
To build academic language, I will intentionally plan using the QSSSA strategy
What is QSSSA?
- Q (Question): The teacher asks a question.
- S (Signal): The students give the teacher a response (determined by the teacher) when they are ready to answer.
- S (Stem): The teacher provides a sentence stem to frame structure language.
- S (Share): Students are asked to share their responses with one or more peers.
- A (Assess): The teacher assesses the quality of discussion by selecting a few students to share their answers with the whole class.
Q- Why is creating a language rich classroom important?
S- Creating a language rich classroom is important because...
S- Stand and push in your chair when you have your sentence.
S- Give one Get one
A- Virtual Dice