October 11, 2015
LWTC/LWTHS takes 2nd Place at the Moe's Corporate Run
September Staff and Students of the Month
Message from the Principal
One of the most important things sports teams can teach us is how to develop team spirit and since we don’t have team sports like football on our campus we have to find opportunities where our staff and students can come together and get a sense of camaraderie, friendship, community and success. Such an opportunity presented itself with the Moe’ Corporate Run this week. Over eighty staff and students (high school and adults) came together with the common goal of not only running/walking for a good cause but of showing off our schools’ pride and spirit. It was a tight competition with Gulfview Middle School winning by having two more participants than us; however, witnessing the energy levels and the pride and joy that showed on our students’ faces when presented with the 2nd place trophy you would have thought we won the Super Bowl.
Thank you to Coach Rick Ponton and the Wellness Champion Cheerleaders Khris Betten-Jutasi and Pam Wilkin for promoting the event, getting staff and students excited about participating and giving students an opportunity to hear the roar from the onlookers as they were presented with the trophy. We have come a long way from the first year when Rick Ponton was the only participant, to last year having ten and this year eighty. Thank you Mr. Ponton for not giving up.
Staff and students have started getting ready for the CCPS 5K Walk-Run which will take place on December 5th at 8:00 a.m. at the MLK Administrative Center. If you are interested in being part of the team, email our Wellness Champions Pam Wilkin or Khris Betten-Jutasi. Our goal is to have all the participants by October 29th in order to get the discounted rate. Let’s show our team spirit by having the largest number of participants!
Another way you can show your team spirit is by voting for the newspaper rack (picture below) decorated by the Art Club under the direction of Lisa Perez. We don’t have an art department at our school but we have artistic students who need an outlet to display their talents. Thank you to Lisa Perez who spent countless hours after school with the Art Club decorating the rack for the Naples Daily News “Through Their Eyes” Student Rack Art Contest. The winning high school will receive $1,000.
Starting on Monday, October 12th you can view and vote for our rack at www.NaplesNews.com/Contests . There is a limit of one vote per person and per email address, per day through October 25th.
So show your school spirit and vote!
We are Gearing Up for the Unconference on Tue, Oct 20th designated as Professional Learning Day! The schedule and sessions are posted on the wiki. Please plan to come prepared to learn and share with your colleagues - also bring your charged iPads (and if you don’t have one, be sure to make arrangements with me this week)!
This week’s Web on Wednesday, Wed, Oct 14th, at either 2:00pm or 2:30pm in room 2-233 will be on Microsoft Sway. Sway is a relatively new tool to create presentations, digital stories, and ‘how to’ tutorials. It focuses on emphasizing visually rich media with text. Sway can be done on either an iPad or on the web.
News from our Wellness Champions - Pam and Khris
- SHAPE UP ! Experience a Taste of Naples Fitness will be held on Saturday, October 17, 8:00 a.m. –noon at Lowdermilk Park and Beach. You will have an opportunity to participate in free fitness activities including yoga, paddle boarding, fitness classes and a 2 mile fun run/walk.
- Lorenzo Walker Technical College will be hosting the Fall VIRTCON on Saturday, October 24th from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Join this viewing party for a conversation on Kathy Schrock’s 13 Literacies for the Digital age. To register visit: http://bit.lw/FallVirtConLWTC. For more information, contact Marie Coleman.
- All 10th graders will participate in the PSAT test on Wednesday, October 14 for periods 1-4.
- PLT Reflection forms due October 30th.
- Make sure to follow the schools on Twitter. The handle for LWTC is @LWTechCollege and the handle for LWTHS is @LWTHSMustangs.
Don't forget to nominate a staff member for the month of October by clicking on the Padlet link . Type the name of the nominated staff member in the "Title" portion of the Padlet post and your reasoning in the body of the post. Also you can nominate by grade level a student for the month for October by clicking the link appropriate link below. Follow the same protocol of putting the student name as the title and reason for nominating in the body of the post.
Spotlight on LWTHS Staff Member
Khristin Betten-Jutasi loves her job, “I can’t imagine being happier”. She enjoys it because of the students and because she gets to teach geography. She loves to travel, meet people, and see different cultures. Most people don’t know that she is a twelve time national champion in horseback riding. She won seven U.S. competitions, and five Canadian competitions, all before 18. She also owns a 1975 bug, which she has stored with her dad in Michigan. She has lived all over the country; Michigan, Rhode Island, Colorado, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and finally Naples Florida. She also lived in Los Angeles where she was friends with people in the movie industry. Mrs.Betten-Jutasi feels that her greatest accomplishment is her relationship with her husband, because she feels like they work together to make home a place where they want to be. Her favorite place that she has ever visited is Tunisia where she did archeological digs and excavated several ruins!
Spotlight on LWTC Staff Member
- Many thanks to Bruce Peters, Tanya Solt, Cosmetology, Massage and Health Science students who participated in the District Wellness Fair!
- Bruce Peters and the senior PN students who joined the health department in height/weight and vision/hearing testing for all Collier County Elementary students. It was a great experience for the students.
- Jeannette Kostka, Lorie Mitchell, Chris Abdo, Geri Leonard, Dental Assisting, Patient Care, Culinary Arts and Bob Waller for representing LWTC at GGE Healthy Kids Day.
11- Deb Young
Upcoming Student Events
- 10/4-10/16, Breast Cancer Awareness, sell pink bracelets, courtyard, lunchtime- Joann Cassio
- 10/14 - Picture Retakes, 7:15-noon, Gym, Rita Kentros
- 10/15 - NHS Induction Ceremony 6:30-8:30 pm, dining hall, Joann Cassio
- 10/16-Wear Pink to support breast cancer, schoowide, Joann Cassio
- 10/17 - Canal Clean up, Golden Gate Canal, 8:00-10:00am, Tara Barr