September 17th - September 21st
Monday, September 17th
- Parent Forum on search for New D39 Superintendent, 7:30pm at WJHS
- Ice Cream Social for parents hosted by PASS39!, 6pm MEC (more info within announcements)
Wednesday, September 19th
- No School - Yom Kippur
Thursday, September 20th
- AM/PM Kindergarten Curriculum Night, 6:30pm
Dr. Kick's Corner
- Third and fourth grade Curriculum Nights went very well. Thank you for your partnership in educating "our" children. Here is information regarding the curriculum for all grade levels http://www.wilmette39.org/for_students/curriculum___instruction
- Please make sure that your child wears a helmet when riding their bike to/from school. Also, bikes should be locked for safe keeping. A note from the Wilmette Police Department: As part of Wilmette Police Department’s commitment to public safety, our officers will be conducting a campaign aimed at school zones around the village. Officers will be looking for drivers that are speeding in school zones, using mobile devices, failing to yield at crosswalks and any other violations that might put children at a safety risk. The enforcement will be conducted mainly before and after school. Please see attached two flyers on school safety reminders.
- Dr. Lechner retires at the end of the 18-19 school year. Please stay current with the search for the new Superintendent http://www.wilmette39.org/
- Walk Bike Wilmette Open House-please see the attached flyer under Community News.
Wednesday, September 26th
- PTO General Meeting, 9:00am
Sunday, September 30th
- Harper Hoedown, 11:30-2:30pm
Monday, October 1st - Friday, October 5th
- Harper Environmental Week
Tuesday, October 2nd
- Picture Retake Day
Monday, October 8th
- No School - Columbus Day
Wednesday and Thursday, October 10th and 11th
- Taffy Apple Sale
Sunday, October 14th
- Harper Hoedown raindate
Monday, October 22nd - Wednesday, October 24th
- Harper Book Fair
Wednesday, October 31st
- Early Release Day - Halloween
Friday, November 2nd
- Annual PTO Parent Party, A. Perry Homes Event Space, 7pm
Tickets are now on sale for the 2018 Harper Parent Party...book your sitters and buy your tickets! This year the event will be held at the hip A. Perry Homes event space in downtown Wilmette on November 2nd from 7-10 PM. $50/person includes all your drinks and apps! Buy your tickets here: http://harperpto.com/parent-social-buy-your-tickets-today/
- Chess Club is starting soon! Chess is a sport of the mind that will exercise your child's brain and build life skills. Professional instruction from basics to competitive will be provided. If interested, register through the Wilmette Park District. Fall session runs Mondays, September 17- December 17 from 3:30- 4:30 in the Harper Cafeteria.
Please join us for a Cub Scouts informational night on Monday, September 17th at 7pm. New and existing parents are welcome. Learn the ins and outs of scouting, our activities and adventures, and scout/parent expectations. You can register your scout (if new), or submit a leader application (if you are inspired). Meeting will be held at the home of Kara Gillespie, 2019 Lake Ave.
One week left for Hoedown Presale discounts!
Save $5 PER TICKET from now until 5pm on 9/21. After that, presale closes and you can buy your tickets at the door for full price. The 15th Annual Harper Hoedown takes place on Sunday 9/30/18, 11:30AM–2:30PM at Harper. All are welcome so spread the word to your non-Harper friends. For more information or to purchase tickets, see order form PDF below or visit the HoedownPage. Swing by the Hoedown table after school on Friday.
- Wanted: Deputies & Donations for the Hoedown. We’re still searching for 50 kind-hearted parents to help out at the Hoedown. This year parent volunteers get in free! Click here to register for a time slot. We’re also looking to hire 12 teens at $10/hr to work on the games. If you have a teen/alumni interested in working a 3-hr game shift, please contact Peggy at firstname.lastname@example.org. (We've had problems with our Hoedown emails, so if you've send an email and didn't get a response, please re-send).
- We also need new/gently-used stuffed animals (no rips or stains, please) and goody bag-type items for our prize tent. Please place them in the donation bin in the Harper lobby.
iGNITE! Enrichment Information
Thank you to iGNITE! for the following Enrichment Experience!
Attention Kindergarten Families - Mark Your Calendars! All Kindergarten classes will be attending Emily Oaks Nature Center for their first field trip on Wednesday, September 26th. Please make sure your child is on time as the buses will depart from Harper shortly after arrival. Please have your child dressed in outdoor play clothes and appropriately for the weather the day of the trip. This field trip was made possible by iGNITE!
If you haven't yet donated to iGNITE!, please do so here: DONATE NOW!
Information from PASS39!
Did you know that there are approximately 504 students in the district who receive special education services via an IEP?
Parenting a child with learning, behavioral, emotional and developmental challenges is sometimes difficult but when you have an army of other parents behind you it makes it so much easier.
Looking for more support or for others who can relate? Join PASS39! The Parent Association for Student Services in District 39 is a parent organization committed to supporting parents of children with emotional, developmental and learning differences. We have convenient meetings scheduled as well as social opportunities to meet other D39 parents, to share ideas and information, and to connect with one another. Join us at our annual Ice Cream Social on Monday, September 17th from 6-7:30pm at the MEC.
For more information and meeting schedule, visit: http://www.wilmette39.org/cms/one.aspx?portalid=360930&pageid=899243
Any additional questions, please contact Harper PASS39 Building Rep: Carey Personette email@example.com
Get Involved at Harper!
DESTINATION IMAGINATION - Interested in Destination Imagination (DI)? DI is a team-based creative problem-solving competition for kids grades K-12. Teams work on science, fine arts, technology, engineering, improv, or community service. DI challenges are all about allowing kids to create on their own without any help from adults or non-team members. Harper will host its own pilot DI program this year. DI is completely volunteer driven. It requires the commitment of parents leaders from November through early March at least 1x a week outside of school. If you are interested in learning more, please plan on attending an informational meeting on Monday, September 17th, 7:00 PM @ McKenzie. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Kids are welcome to join the informational meetings as well!
Want to spend time with your child’s class in a quiet and relaxed environment? Volunteer in the Harper Library! Sign up genius linked here!
Wilmette Park District is hosting a free WORLD WIDE DAY OF PLAY on Saturday, September 22nd from 10:00 am - 12:00 pm at Vattman Park.
Wilmette Rotary Club is running its annual BIG BOOK DRIVE at all District 39 schools from October 1st through November 15th.
The Village of Wilmette is hosting a Walk Bike Wilmette Open House on Thursday, September 27th from 4:00 - 7:00 pm. Stop in and give ideas, comments and suggestions on how to make Wilmette more walking and bike friendly. See attached flyer-
PASS 39 is hosting a Welcome Ice Cream Social on Monday, September 17th at 6:00 pm at the MEC/District office. RSVP @ email@example.com
Wilmette Food Pantry is open every Tuesday 10:30-11:30 am at Trinity United Methodist Church.
All are welcome to join in the festivities at Harper Elementary School's Hoedown on Sunday, September 30th, 11:30 - 2:30.
The Wilmette Historical Museum hosts "Auto Historica XV” a vintage and classic car show on Sunday, September 23rd, 12:00 - 3:00 pm
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Liz Hayes via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org