Working to provide students with the voice and learning environment they deserve.
This communication is a way to stay connected as Social Justice advocates. Through resource sharing, we are able to learn and build capacity around issues of Social Justice. This also allows the opportunity to highlight the great work individuals and buildings are doing related to student voice.
This week's SJ happenings across the school district/community
- Dr. Mark Brackett came to Oakland Schools on Friday (1/29) to present on Social Emotional Learning. Dr. Brackett discussed the importance of helping students identify their emotions and learn strategies to respond to their feelings.
- Day 3 of Courageous Conversations on Race, professional development series was held on Thursday (2/4) at Oakland Schools. 12 educators from Novi are participating in this professional development with other educators around the county.
- School buildings across the Novi Community collected food items that were delivered to the Novi Food Pantry on (1/29) to help families in need. The food pantry is located at Faith Presbyterian Church in Novi.
- Novi High School, in partnership with the Novi Interfaith Group, has begun a Friday backpack program for students struggling with food insecurity. Referrals can be made to the Student Services office at Novi High.
- University of Michigan is holding a Youth Civil Rights and Social Justice Workshop scheduled for Saturday, March 5th at the U of M Dearborn Campus. A small team of Novi High School students will attend along with an adult chaperone, Melissa Kreger (NHS Teacher).
- The LAC-O Student Leadership Conference is scheduled for May 3rd at Oakland University. Seth Furlow (NHS Teacher) will be leading a group of Novi High School students who will facilitate a breakout session for participants.
- The 10th Cohort of the Oakland School's Social Justice project will begin in March. Novi School District has been invited to send a team of educators to this event. Dr. Jay Marks (Oakland Schools School Quality Consultant) will facilitate the 4-days of professional development.
- Novi's Feed the Need Summer Lunch Program Committee has begun planning for the 2016 Summer. This is a free opportunity for students to receive lunch and enrichment activities. Details on dates, times and locations will be available soon.
- Dr. Jason Almerigi, Oakland Schools' Research, Evaluation and Assessment Consultant met with High School students this week to discuss survey development. Student's feedback will inform a Climate and Culture Survey that will be administered by Oakland Schools this spring.
- Novi High School Teachers got creative and had fun making an entertaining video for all to enjoy! NHS Teacher Video
Dr. Almerigi: Oakland Schools
Student Voice on survey's
Courageous Conversations about Race
4-day professional development series at Oakland Schools
Parents of African American Students in Novi (PAASN)
Free Saturday Math Tutoring for any student who is interested. (10:00 am- 12:00 pm)
-Orchard Hills Elementary
LACO-Student Engagement Committee SMORE
Included are many great resources and information that connects to Student Engagement. The Learning Achievement Coalition-Oakland Student Engagement Committee meets monthly at Oakland Schools.
National Blue Ribbon Award- Novi Woods Elementary
Principal Ascher and Mayor Bob Gatt
Reviewing Data Notebooks
Students are in charge of their learning
Learning to Synergize! Leader in Me