Friday, December 18, 2015
Ornament Workshop 2015
Writers for Real
Does your fourth grader:
- LOVE to write stories, poems, or news articles?
- Often choose to write at home?
- Want to write more?
- Delight in talking with others about your written work?
- Complete work on time?
- Use many details that add interest and excitement to your piece?
- Enjoy communicating in writing?
- Appreciate a challenge?
Then please see Mrs. Coleates’ classroom connections page at http://www.canandaiguaschools.org/webpages/lcoleates/ and the Writers For Real tab for more information about a Writing Enrichment Opportunity. This is an experience students can apply to through completing a short writing assignment. The application is a file on the page. Applications are due by January 6th.
The creators of Hour of Code believe every student should have the opportunity to take part in creating technology that’s changing our world. In the videos we watched last week, Susan Wojcicki, CEO of Youtube, said, “Technology touches every part of our lives. If you can change technology, you can change the world.”
Chose ONE of these 2 tasks:
1. Write a letter to the Canandaigua Board of Education to persuade them to add coding to the curriculum. Explain a little about coding and give at least 3 reasons why it should be taught in school. Be sure to use details to support your reasons!
2. How can you use coding to change the world? Would you create a new program? a new website? a new game? Write a short essay (at least 3 paragraphs) explaining what you would create, who it would effect and how it would change the world.
Entries should be typed if possible or done in very neat handwriting. Include your name, grade and your teacher’s name. Entries should be placed in Ms. Lambert’s mailbox or drop them off in the computer lab. The lucky winners will receive an I Did The Hour of Code t-shirt.
Deadline for entries is Wednesday, December 23
MLK Jr Contest ~ If you child wants to participate in this contest, your child needs to create a hand-drawn poster on 12x18 construction paper. Please let me know if your child is interested.
December 22nd ~ Warm & Cozy Day (wear PJs or a snuggly sweater/sweatshirt)
December 23rd ~ Holiday Fun Day (wear funky holiday clothes)