News from Room 5
1. We were rained out for the Walk-a-thon and are rescheduled for March 8th. You are still able to send in more pledges. The class name is "Schroeder's Awesome Olympians". We have a banner and our costumes will be ready for the day of the event. Please join us on March 8th from 1-2 pm.
2. Students have taken home their "Pasta for Pennies" collection boxes. They are motivated to be the class to win the free lunch catered by "Olive Garden" and to raise money for cancer research. Many students have already filled their boxes and are continuing to fill it with more coins and dollars. A 3rd grade student at Solana Vista is being treated for leukemia and he is a thriving and courageous young man. He speaks to the students about his condition and what they could do to support children like him. This is truly an act of kindness to be supporting research for children who do suffer from cancer.
3. Our class will begin working on our Silent Auction art project this month with Mrs. Cartwright. A note was sent out for you to send in any crayons new or used to donate for our project. It would be helpful if you could remove the paper from the crayons before you send them in. These projects turn out so beautiful and I can't wait to see our finished masterpiece! Thank you Deborah for volunteering your time on this big project!!!!
Our Solana Beach Foundation is still accepting funds for supporting our special programs. Any amount you donate counts! If you have donated, let me know and I will add you to our list.
These families have donated to our foundation:
MRS. SCHROEDER - 2nd Grade
Parker & Megan Lyons
Jeff & Kim Phillips
Sean & Norma Shannon
Doug & Melissa Wolkon
Please make check payable to:
Solana Beach Foundation for Learning
309 Rios Avenue, Solana Beach, CA 92075
You may also donate online at www.sbfl.org.
Focus Areas for this Month
•Language Arts: We are now into Unit 4 with the theme, "Better Together" and the idea of community. Comprehension skills will include cause & effect, analyzing story structure through sequencing & summarizing, and using illustrations to monitor comprehension. Grammar skills involve synonyms, antonyms and homophones. We have been practicing these skills in centers and games.
•Math: This month we are working on money and will begin time and measurement. Areas in each skill area are outlined below.
Money: values of coins, sums of coins, several ways to show a value (i.e. 3 ways to show $1.25), solving for change
Time: time to the hour, 1/2 hour, 1/4 hour ; half past, quarter to, quarter past intervals, elapsed time (i.e. it's 10:30 am, lunch will be served in 2 hours, what time is lunch?)
•Writing Development: This month we will be writing some poetry and begin our animal reports. Currently students have been hard at work on Wheel Days working with our parent volunteers and Mrs. Zakoski on biography reports. These will be part of our Wax Museum during Open House.
•Science: Animal Life Cycles
•Cooking/Gardening: This month students will be making fortune cookies! A big thank you to Mrs. Arner for assisting me with the Chinese New Year presentation and for bringing in some Chinese goodies. Also, Panda Express also provided us with orange chicken and chow mein. If you visit the Panda Express off Lomas Santa Fe near Sprouts, you will see the poster our second graders put together.
Speeches, Up-coming Dates, Wish List
· Week of March 4: Free choice. You can choose any topic but tell us why you chose it and three things you want us to know. (Remember, no toys or electronics but you can bring a photo or a draw a picture to share information with us.)
· Week of March 11: Conference week so no speeches this week.
· Week of March 18: Tell about your favorite book and share some interesting details in order to convince your peers to read it.
· Week of March 25: Recycling: How will it help our future?
*Speeches should have 3 to 5 message points and run about two minutes long. Please come prepared!
Pyramid of Success Character Trait for March: Determination
Last month, Logan Brown was recognized for "Action".
March 8: Walkathon 1-2 p.m.
March 11-15: Parent Conferences (minimum day 12:05 p.m. dismissal)
March 20: Patriotic Performance 1:30-2:30 p.m.
March 22: Fitness Friday 1 p.m.
March 25-29: Ability Awareness Week
Wish List for the Classroom
1. Little prizes for our Treasure Chest
2. Board Games: Yatzee, Headbandz. Battleship, Scrabble, Monopoly
3. Classroom Friendly Pencil Sharpener (1 or 2)