A sheet teaching you about one deadly geohazard, LANDSLIDES!
2) WHAT DO LANDSLIDES DO? 3)WHAY SHOULD WE CARE?
2) landslides, or land slopes are mostly caused by gravity, but are mainly created by the failure of the slopes stability do to other causes like debris.
3) We should care because we are one of the causes of these, since we made buildings and houses over areas where the ground has been weakened by other effects from gravity will cause it to collapse and flow away.
4)WHERE DO THEY OCCUR MOST? 5) HOW IS THE DESTRUCTIVNESS MEASURED?
4) Landslides mostly occur in the Appalachian mountains, as well as several states in the U.S., such as California, Washington, Hawaii, and many more.
5) Landslides are usually measured by how many acres of damage they tore down while flowing or falling.
6) SOME GREAT OCCURENCES. 7) HOW CAN WE HELP.
6) 1: one great landslide was the Heart Mountain landslide. It occurred about 50 million years ago in Wyoming, it was so large that weathering and erosion hadn't even obscured all of the evidence yet.
2: another great landslide was the Storegga slide, this was a submarine landside that happened 8200 years ago, it was off the coast of southwestern Norway and caused a large tsunami which damaged many costal residences at many different islands.
7) We can help by doing three simple tasks.
1: don't discharge water or trash on or from large and steep hills so the won't be as much debris.
2: check your property if there has been any movements in earth or water below the ground.
3: Never block city drainage pipes or fill ditches with trash or organic material like leaves and other debris.