History of Volleyball
By: Kylee Armey
Orgin of Volleyball:
- February 9th, 1895 ; in Holyoke, Massachusettes.
- William G. Morgan (YMCA employee,) created a new game called "mintonette."
- The game was normally played indoors and took some of it's characteristics from tennis and handball.
Rules of The Game:
- Each team is allowed a MAXIMUM of 3 hits before it must send the ball back over the net.
- No player can hit the ball 2 times in a row (during the same play.)
- Players MUST rotar clockwise through 6 different positions on their side of the net.
- No part of a player's body or uniform is allowed to touch the net at any time during game play.
Famous Volleyball Athletes:
- Karen Kiraly
- Logan Tom
- Misty May- Treanor
- Kerri Walsh
- Foo Hyman
- Mike Whitemarsh
Premier Professional Leagues:
Team: New England Riders. Region: New England. Founded: 2012.
Team: Team North Texas. Region: North Texas. Founded: 2012.
Equipment Needed: (Basics)
- A volleyball; made of leather or synthetic leather with a weight between 9 and 10 ounces.
- A net; 32 feet long by 3 feet wide. MUST be a flat surface and not present any hazards to the players.
"Basic Equipment Used in Volleyball." Healthy Living. Demand Media, 2016. Web. 22 Apr. 2016.
Athletic Scholarships." The History Of Volleyball. Where Volleyball Started. Ath Net, 2016. Web. 02 May 2016.
View in list | Edit