By Rain Held
What Is The Pythagorean Theorem?
In the picture shown here
- A=3 and B=4.
- A*A=9 and B*B=16 add these together and you get 25.
- If you count the area of the C length it is equal to 25 also.
- Than find the square root of 25 which is 5.
- And the Hypotenuse is equal to 5.
Who is Pythagoras?
Some historians have stated that he was Married with one kid, and that his wife's name was Theano, and his daughter's name was Damo. They also have found that his parents were named Mnesarchus (Father) and Pythais (Mother.)
But since they shared information secretly with in the group without giving credit it is hard to tell if Pythagoras actually ever found the Pythagorean theorem in the first place.
Where is this used?
- A Coast Guard officer spots a ship passing in the distance, and he needs to know how close it is to the lighthouse. He measures the distance to the ship, and figures out how far he is from the lighthouse. Using the Pythagorean Theorem he can find how far the ship is from the lighthouse.
- A Construction Worker needs to lay down foundation in a corner of a building but does not have a carpenters square handy will use the Pythagorean Theorem to figure it out.
- An Aerospace Engineer is building a plane and needs to make sure that the wings are made properly so that the plane can take off properly. He takes the length from the tip to the body, and the length from the body to the base to find the hypotenuse which will help him find the incline of the wing.
- Painters when using ladders need to find just how high they need the ladder to keep it safely in place. In this case the ladder is their hypotenuse and they'll find the length of the ladder required.
- When Buying A Computer you may have only a certain amount of space to place that computer, and by using the Pythagorean Theorem you can find out how small or large the computer should be to fit perfectly.
- When Walking to somewhere like the park you may need to find perfect route to get there. If you know the distance from your home to a place close to that park and how far it is from the park you can figure out how far you'll have to travel and in what direction to get to that park.
First I measured 27.5 cm from the left corner of my poster, and when from there strait down 20.5 cm and left a dot.
From this dot a drew I 10 cm line to the right side of the paper, and than drew from the end of that line a 20.5 cm line segment that created a right angle.
I then connected the starting spot to the end of the top of the last line I drew creating my first triangle.
Using the Hypotenuse of the first triangle I created another right angle and drew it 10 cm out.
I than repeated this connecting process all the way through, in tell I ended up with my final spiral with about 17 triangles.
What do the squares mean or do?
A=4 | A Square = 16 or 4*4=16
B=3 | B Square = 9 or 3*3=9
9 + 16= 25
"Biography of Pythagoras - Math Word Definition - Math Open Reference." Biography of Pythagoras - Math Word Definition - Math Open Reference. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Jan. 2016.
"Building Application of Pythagorean Theorem." Building Application of Pythagorean Theorem. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Jan. 2016.
"CK-12 Foundation." Proofs and Use of the Pythagorean Theorem ( Real World ). N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Jan. 2016.
N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Jan. 2016.
"Pythagoras of Samos." Pythagoras Biography. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Jan. 2016.
"Pythagorean Theorem Project- Aerospace Engineer." Prezi.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Jan. 2016.