Advising Updates Week of March 21st
- Review the portfolio resources shared yesterday and discussed on the call. I will have office hours on Tuesday, April 5th from 5-6pm EST at (712) 770-4010 x281470 to answer any questions.
- Help me schedule our 2016 Advisor Training: Please complete this Doodle BY March 28th - http://doodle.com/poll/7c8tfpd2e6yzzzv6
- Promote the Mid-Semester Survey: Include mid-semester survey info in any outreach from now until March 25th. Blurb in the sample blast language below.
- Summer registration: We have LOTS of course spots available. Please push students to complete summer coursework if possible. The email is going out tomorrow. Brent & Robyn - your folks have required summer electives, so please push them to apply sooner rather than later to ensure they get the course they want.
- ISIS Freeze on Thursday & Friday (3/24-3/25): FYI, no new information will be going in and out of ISIS at the end of the week. It may compromise your ability to access files.
- Need your W-2? Go to W2 eXpress. Log into myJohnsHopkins (http://my.johnshopkins.edu) using your JHED ID and password. Scroll over the HR icon (located on the left-hand side of the screen), and then click on the W2 eXpress icon.
- No more drops & no more struggling info from instructors: We are nearing the last month of courses, so we won't be getting any more program wide success data. Instructors will be encouraged to proactively loop you in, but please make sure you are also reaching out as needed. I.e. if you get a flag from one instructor, I'd recommend sending emails to anyone else working with the student to get a feel for how far the problem extends and go from there.
- Portfolio calls: Calls will be happening in the coming months for both the Summer 16 and Fall 16 groups. Please review the dates below carefully and share with students so they are holding the time on their calendars.
- Portfolio summer registration: Information will be included in the summer registration email, but the key with portfolio is that they have ONE week from March 28th-April 1st to register. Please push portfolio register as hard as possible and make sure all deadlines are clear.
- Non-responsive students? Please keep following the steps from our non-responsive system.
Sample blurb items for advisee blasts/newsletters
Mid Semester Survey: The Mid-Semester Survey is here! We use this survey to make key program and instructor related decisions, so please take 5-10 minutes to make sure your ideas are heard. Use this link to fill out the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ZH9PBJY .
The survey covers all your classes so you only need to take it ONCE. There are two $25 gift cards up for grabs, so make sure your name is in the hat! Thanks in advance for taking the survey by Friday, March 25.
Job opening at TFA: Director of Research
- 4-6 years of experience conducting quantitative and qualitative research using multiple research methods and approaches
- Demonstrated experience working with robust data sets and conducting complex analysis
- Distinctive impact/progression of increasing responsibility in previous work
- Teach For America alumni preferred but not required
Order your Cap and Gown <deadline April 9th>
Refer to the email from the Registrar on Feb. 19th for full details. The highlights are:
- When ordering, please select “Johns Hopkins University – School of Education.”
- Master’s degree students wear the pretty blue colored hoods.
- Cap and gown are mandatory for all ceremonies.
- The deadline to order is April 9th.
Off track? Need to update your graduation info?
If you are off track for spring graduation, because of portfolio or coursework, you must re-apply for graduation depending on when you are planning to graduate. You apply in ISIS following these steps:
- Apply using the online graduation application form on ISIS Self-Service at https://isis.jhu.edu/
- Go to the Registration menu
- Select Program of Study Information
- Click on "Apply for Graduation" next to the program(s) that you are applying to graduate from and fill out the form.
- If you will be graduating at the end of the summer, select August graduation. If you are pushing graduation until December, select December.
- You will NOT have to pay the fee again, but if you will not be eligible to graduate based on when you originally applied and you miss the application deadline, it will push you back until the next available graduation window, so please take care of it now.
Making the most of the end of your First Year! Where does the time go?!
As you wrap up for the year, it's never too early to start preparing for your Portfolio which starts in the fall and is the equivalent of your Master's thesis. You'll get a lot more details in the coming weeks from the program, but here are a couple quick tips from me in the meantime:
- Save student work related to any JHU assignments, save student work that exemplifies the level of learning and mastery happening in their classroom
- Review the portfolio resources on the Program Site. Go to the Program Site, left menu bar and select Digital Portfolio.