FROM RILINK'S EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Thank you to the RILINK staff, librarians, vendor representatives, and other professionals who made our first Virtual Conference a success! Everyone also worked very hard on a variety of other projects, including
- RILINK's Strategic Plan. Thank you to our Advisory Committee members!
- New Professional Learning sessions for librarians and teachers scheduled for the end of August, September, and October
- Additions to our shared BookLynx Collection
- New Distance Learning and Professional Learning Guides on our web site.
Renewals and new subscriptions for RILINK members have all been ordered, including our group subscriptions to Exploring Nature and CultureGrams. If you have any questions or are experiencing any issues with subscriptions, please contact email@example.com.
OVER 100 BOOKLYNX EBOOKS ADDED FOR JULY AND AUGUST
Check out the 103 new eBooks recently added to BookLynx at https://bit.ly/2FmvLlh. One title, The starlit loom by Ted Sanders, is under repair and will be added as soon as it is available. The list includes a number of titles that address civil rights and racism as well as items requested by members.
Find directions for adding BookLynx eBooks and digital audio books to your collection at https://tinyurl.com/ycdylnrv. When adding new eBooks and audio books to your collection, sort by date added in descending order to see the newest titles.
As always, Donna Good looks forward to receiving your requests and recommendations. Just fill out the form at https://rilink.libwizard.com/f/eBookrequest.
WELCOME TO DESTINY 18!
RICAT was updated to version 18.0 of Destiny on Friday, August 14th. With this new release,
Destiny Quest is no longer available as most of its features have been moved to Destiny Discover. For further information on the new release, see our website at https://guides.rilink.org/ld.php?content_id=56450998
LORI Certification Training & Support
OLIS is offering three one-hour training & support sessions for LORI Certification. Two sessions are still available. School libraries have until September 30 to complete certification.
From the OLIS site-
The program will introduce the new LORI Certification platform at LibPAS. We will provide an overview of the site navigation and the steps required for the signed Certification form.
RILINK Educator Course Network Sessions
Registration for the August 25-27 sessions closes Sunday, August 23.
Please check out Professional Learning page for additional links to opportunities provided by other organization and vendors. Contact Karen or Jackie if you have suggestions for additions to the ones currently listed.
AskRI - are you using these statewide resources?
For a complete list of the databases available go to AskRI.org and scroll down the page.
AskRI now offers
- Mango Languages Spanish for Librarians: A free course in conversational Spanish tailored for librarians.
- Gale Presents: Udemy is an online learning platform for adults who want to improve work-related skills or further develop a personal interest. Users can search through more than 4,000 continuously updated, on-demand video courses across 75 categories in business, technology, design, and more. All courses are taught by world-class instructors and offer a tailor-made learning experience for those who want to learn new technologies and skills to stay competitive in a changing workforce. You may need to log in with your public library card number if it does not recognize your connection to the Internet as being in Rhode island.
- Flipster offers an easy, browse-able reading experience. Users can browse magazines by category as well as perform searches for specific periodicals. An online newsstand provides a carousel of the most recent issues, as well as a carousel of all issues allowing for quick access to magazines. The table of contents contains links for quick access to articles of interest and hotlinks within magazines are hyperlinked, opening in separate tabs when clicked. In addition, there is an option to zoom in and out for better readability.
- The RI Resource Hub is a comprehensive online directory of education and career resources for Rhode Islanders. Whether you are looking for jobs, classes, training programs, or career development, the RI Resource Hub and its online tools can help you find it.
To view the list of the links, logos and vendor information for AskRI resources go to
SC2020 Conference Raffle Winners
Congratulation to all of the winners!
SC Survey Raffle
- Katie O'Kane
Gale $25 Amazon Gift Card
World Almanacs from Infobase
Beth Anne Chapman
Elaine Van Leer
OverDrive Yeti Tumbler
$50 GC Toward purchase of RI Book Award Titles
4 Elementary Titles (Babymouse, Dork Diaries, Dog Man, Minecraft)
Follett Lightbox Title
Follett Resource Manager Pocket Scanner