Mid-Carolina High School
Principal's Weekly Message February 22- 26, 2016
A Proud Past, A Promising Future
MCHS is a Palmetto Gold School of Excellence!
As your principal I am very proud to announce that last week I was notified that MCHS was named as a Palmetto Gold Award winner by the SC Education Oversight Committee. This award recognizes a small number of schools that exhibit exceptionally high levels of student academic achievement. Being a Palmetto Gold School of Excellence means that as a school our academic performance substantially exceeded the benchmarks set by our state. Being recognized as a Palmetto Gold School of Excellence is a great accomplishment and one that we should all proud of. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication from teachers, students, and staff to receive this recognition. In order to celebrate being a Palmetto Gold School of Excellence I have asked our student council to come up with some ideas to celebrate our continued academic success. Your student council is in the process of planning “Excellent Week”, during which your student council has planned a series of fun events that will take place throughout the week to celebrate being a Palmetto Gold School of Excellence. GREAT JOB! Go MC!
African American History Month
Tuesday’s Q: Which American track-and-field athlete won four gold medals at the 1936 Berlin Olympic Games? His long jump world record stood for 25 years.
Upcoming Important Dates/Reminders:
- 2/8 – Pennies for Patients – This program will start on Monday, Feb. 8, and we will attempt to raise $2,016.00 as a school.
- 2/15-3/14 MC Art Club Annual Animal Shelter Fundraiser – Food, treats, toys, towels, etc. will be collected and donated. See Mrs. Makoski for details.
- 3/1-3/27 – MAP Testing Window
- 3/2 – WorkKeys Testing - It’s that time of year again that we will prepare to administer the WorkKeys Assessment to our 3rd year high school students. This year’s test date is Wednesday, March 2, 2016. This is a B day. We will use the 300- Wing for WorKKeys testing. Guidance thanks you in advance for your help with testing. If you have any questions, please let us know.
- 3/9 – Early Release – SLO Planning Date – Teachers will be provided time to meet with departments and co-teaches to write and develop their SLOs. Departments will meet and examine cumulative observation data compiled throughout the entire school. Based on analysis of departmental observations each department will choose an area of focus to improve upon for the 2016-2017 school year. This will serve as your area of focus for your SLO professional growth and development plan next year.
- 3/11 – SLO Final Benchmark Assessment Data / PG&D Plan Due – Submit Interval Benchmark Assessment & Data Analysis to administration for review via OneNote. Submit final Professional Growth & Development Plan Documentation to administration for review.
- 3/18 – EOY SLO Conferences – Deadline for conducting EOY Conferences
Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - B Day
Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - B Day
Update / Event Reschedule -- This event will be rescheduled. Once the a new date is established you will be notified. MCHS Palmetto Gold School Excellence Treat - In honor of MCHS being named a Palmetto Gold School of Excellence, Mrs. Rowe and the cafeteria staff, will be baking a cake to celebrate this outstanding accomplishment. Every student and staff member will be provided a piece of cake free of charge during both lunches. Teachers please don't forget to come and get your piece during lunch in the cafeteria.
Varsity Softball Scrimmage vs. Dutch Fork(H) - 5:30 p.m.
Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - A Day
Faculty Meeting / WorkKeys Testing -- This will be a brief meeting at 3:35 in the Media Center to discuss the plan for WorkKeys testing on March 2.
Thursday, February 25, 2016 -- B Day
Fall/Winter Athletic Awards Banquet will be held in the MCHS Gym at 6:00 p.m.
Friday, February 26, 2016 - A Day
Saturday, February 27, 2016
NCSD Recruitment Fair will be held on Feb. 27 from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. at Newberry High School.
NASP Archery Qualifying Tournament at MCHS/MCMS - 11:00 - 6:00 p.m.
Positive Share Out
Tech Tuesday Professional Development
Here is a great article/blog on how to incorporate social media in the classroom. Social media is one of the most engaging trends for our students, at this moment. Consider using some of these suggested techniques and strategies in your classroom. I would love to observe your class or even assist you as you implement one of these practical techniques. Also, please give me feedback on how things work for you if you try any of these.