Data - Driven - Decision : Think 3D
Swartz Creek Academy 2015 - 2016
Richard Kerry Thompson
Dean of Students
The Swartz Creek Academy is a 21st Century opportunity for students to earn their High School Diploma or GED.
It holds the rigor and requirements of the standards mandated by the Michigan Merit Curriculum.
Using differentiated instruction integrated in technology, classroom experience and individualized learning plans, our pupils are...
Students Taking Academic Responsibility - S.T.A.R.
A Paradigm Shift Based Upon Qualitative and Quantitative Data
Qualitative data -
- The Vision, Mission and Belief Statements of the Swartz Creek Schools (SCCS)
- Career and College Readiness - Michigan Department of Education (MDE)
- Flexible Learning Options -Michigan Department of Education (MDE)
- Exemplary Practices National Alternative Education Association (NAEA)
- Effective Strategies of Dropout Prevention by the National Dropout Prevention Center (NDPC)
- Michigan Workforce Development Agency (TED) Talent and Economic Development
- High Impact Educational Practices (HIPS) - Higher Education
Quantitative data -
- Enrollment - SCA 17 year trend (FTE) / Attendance
- Behavioral - Discipline / Major and Minor Offenses SCA 2014-2015
- Achievement / Growth - Graduates /Credits pass / fail / STAR SCA 2014 - 2015
- Seat Time Waiver Program Process, Perils, Pitfalls and Promise - HUB
- Trends in Alternative Education County, State and Nation
- College Retention first Year
- Skilled Trade opportunity for High School Graduates
Paradigm shift based upon qualitative and quantitative data
- Branding - Swartz Creek Academy - Career & College Preparatory School
- Flexible Learning Options - All students on Seat Time Waiver
- Minimum of Credits - 20 Credits to Graduate (Swartz Creek Academy Diploma)
- Credit Recovery - Student Responsibility - (T & W 2:30 - 3:30 & On Own)
- 70% Pass Threshold - Standards Based Grading
- Academy Core - Employability Skills - 2 Credits
- Flexible Schedule for Staff & Students
Richard Kerry Thompson
Dean of Students
Director of Academy Operations
Programs Served in the Academy - 2015-2016
- Kindergarten - 5th Grade
- Middle School 6-7-8 Grades
- High School Diploma
- High School Diploma / GED
- GED/ Adult Education
Lineage of Academy FTE 2015 - 2016
- New FTE (School of Choice / Home School / Private School)
- Academy Students
- HUB Students
- High School Students
- Abyss Students
Swartz Creek Community Schools...
MISSION: Swartz Creek Community Schools inspires our learners to embrace challenges, set goals, grow their talents, and realize their dreams for success in a global society.
VISION: Swartz Creek Community Schools provides a world class education through innovative experiences while developing the unique talents of our learners.
- We believe in a culture of learning.
- We believe that student learning should be the primary goal for all decisions made affecting the school district.
- We believe the climate and culture of the school is engaging, nurturing, challenging, and inspires students to express their personal ideas.
- We believe curriculum is integrated, differentiated, meaningful, and pertinent to life.
- We believe in culturally relevant education that provides the knowledge and skills to meet the global challenges and opportunities of the 21st Century.
- We believe in continuous improvement informed by critical evaluation and reflection.
- We believe expanding technologies enrich how teachers teach and students learn.
- We believe in building relationships and sharing resources with our community, parents, and staff members.
National Alternative Education Association - NAEA Exemplary Practices 2.0: Standards of Quality and Program Evaluation 2014
National Dropout Prevention Center - NDPC - 15 Effective Strategies for Dropout Prevention
Please click for High-Impact Practices: Eight Key Elements and Examples
Please click for Key Findings from 2013 Survey of Employers
Articles on College Retention