4-H Friday News Blast for 4.12.2019
Nebraska Extension Cass County
Disaster Recovery 4-H Volunteer Guide
Disaster recovery efforts are underway following the spring flooding in Nebraska this year. If your 4-H club has been invited to help with a cleanup or recovery project, please look through the following “4-H Volunteer Guide for Disaster Recovery” that aims to help you facilitate a successful event and minimize potential risks for you and your club members. Thank you for your service to our state, county, and communities! https://go.unl.edu/094x
If you club chooses to volunteer in some cleanup or recovery project, wear your 4-H t-shirts!
Here Are updates, new for 2019:
- Beef: Blocking Chutes (General rules #15, page 10)
- Goats: Costume Class (See goat divisions, page 15)
- Dog Show: all events moved to Tuesday only (no Saturday events)
- Update to photography classes, including special N150 class to celebrate Nebraska and UNL's 150th anniversaries.
- A special Bess Streeter Aldrich Award will be awarded for a heritage project
- Special N|150 Stepping Stone class (page 72)
- DIVISION 10 - LIVESTOCK STORES (pages 18 and 24) Enter these items in the Photography Division in the 4-H Building on Sunday, from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm. The items will be displayed and judged with other static items, but count towards livestock projects for end-of-the-year point sheets. Open to any 4-Her exhibiting any type of large or small animal at the current year's Cass County Fair. Limit one entry per 4-Her per class:
- B-010-990 Selfie with Show Animals - Take a selfie with this year's show animal and write a story about what you learned from your animal project.
- B-010-992 - Show Animal Project Care Poster - 14" x 22" poster showing the story of how you care for your animal. Photos encouraged.
- B-010-CK Show Animal Selfie or Project - Clover Kid entry of "Selfie with Show Animal" or "Show Animal Project Care Poster."
"Fur" Your Information - A Summer Dog Day-Camp!
The Animal Science Department of UNL is excited to introduce a new dog day-camp happening this summer. The camp is three Monday mornings in a row, June 3, 10, and 17, so youth and their dogs can come and learn together.
This camp will offer students the opportunity to learn and practice showmanship, rally obedience, and agility with their household dog.
No previous training knowledge or experience? No problem! So long as your dog knows basic obedience and good on-leash control, students between the ages 8 and 18 are encouraged to enroll.
This camp has it all from practicing basic components of training like animal behavior, positive reinforcement, and motivation .... to learning more about the science behind dog care.
Spots are limited, sign your child up today! For more information and the registration link:
Nebraska N|150 Stepping Stone Showcase
Nebraska N|150 Photography Class
Cooking with your Clover Kids
4-H Curriculum Sale for 25% off at Shop 4-H
Check out the 2018 Curriculum Catalog for a deep-dive into our popular offerings, and view the full Curriculum collection on Shop4-H.org to explore all items, including those that are new since the 2018 Curriculum Catalog was published.
Foundation Announces Flood Relief Fund to Support Nebraska Families
The Nebraska 4-H Foundation has created a Flood Relief Fund to support children, youth and families impacted by the recent storms and floods.
There is another fund that may be of interest to your 4-H families and friends. The 4-H’ers Helping 4-H’ers Fund offers a giving opportunity to 4-H clubs and councils as well as individuals and businesses to support 4-H youth and families.
Information on both funds is available on the Nebraska 4-H Foundation website: www.ne4hfoundation.org
If you have questions or need additional information, please call or email Stu Shepherd at email@example.com
Check the calendars below ...
County 4-H Calendar
Livestock DNA envelopes - now available at the Extension Office
YQCA website open for livestock certification
April 15 .... Cass County 4-H Speech Contest
April 25 .... YQCA Face-to-Face Training at Cass County
May 6 .... YQCA Face-to-Face Training at Otoe County
June 3 .... YQCA Face-to-Face Training at Cass County
June 6 .... YQCA Face-to-Face Training at Otoe County
June 15 .... New deadline for beef DNA for state fair
June 15 ... 4-H Day Camp for kids 6-11
July 1-2 ... Tractor Safety Training at Cass County Extension Office
Aug 7-10 .... Cass County Fair 2019
State 4-H Calendar:
Registrations for Summer 4-H Camp - website now open, early-bird deadline April 15th.
CWF 2020 ( Citizen's Washington Focus) - applications still be taken.
April 15 - NAYI applications due
Apr 15 - Early bird registration due date for Summer 4-H Camp 15% off
Apr 27 - Spring Rabbit Show in Lincoln
Apr 29 - Next Chapter Statewide Celebration (corrected date from UNL)
May 29 - Horse Judging Contest in Ericson, NE
June 5 - Northeast Nebraska Horse Show
June 5 - 4-H Plant Science Contests
June 29 - Rabbit Progress Show/Clinic in Burchard, NE
July 8-12 - NAYI
June of 2020 - Citizenship Washington Focus in Washington D.C.
Ag Information & Other Opportunities:
- Wellness in Tough Times ... webinar on Tuesday, April 23
- Ag Line Newsletter ... by Gary Lesoing, Nemaha County Extension Educator
- Connecting Entrepreneurial Communities Conference ... April 24-25 in Beatrice
- Recycling Event in Cass County ... April 27th
- Flood information ... updated daily
- Staying Connected During Tough Times ... Resources for Nebraska Farmers, Ranchers, and their Families
- Cornhusker Economics - Nebraska Farm Real Estate Values ... updated 3.13.19
- Recorded session from first Land Management Quarterly
- Beef Watch UNL ... archives
- Nebraska Tower on the Plains Rabbit Breeders Association Spring Show ... Lincoln, NE on April 20th.
- Nebraska Statewide Arboretum’s Spring Affair ... April 27, Lincoln
- Geoscience Field Trip for Nebraska High School Juniors and Seniors (it's FREE!) ... July 12-22, 2019
- Nebraska Extension Publications ... online Library
Nebraska Extension Cass County
Katie Kreuser, Extension Educator, Interim Unit Leader, firstname.lastname@example.org
Tracy Ensor, Extension Assistant, email@example.com
Sondra Buell, Office Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
General Mailbox, email@example.com