Island School PTA Newsletter
Message from Co-chairs
Let the fun begin! Right now our students are preparing for a fantastic night of singing, dancing, drama and poetry performances as well as a fashion show to be held at the Spring Cultural Fair on Friday, April 12th from 5:30-9:30pm.
This is a student focused Fair designed to showcase Island School students’ skills and talents. There will be a range of performances and activities ranging from Masterchef Finale to Bollywood, Korean and Japanese dancing.
In addition, the famous Island School International Food Festival will be held on the same night to feed all our hungry guests. Parents are already planning the menus from their home country so come and enjoy authentic home-cooked food and a glass of wine whilst you watch your children perform!
We are looking for volunteers to run the stalls. If you have 45 minutes-1 hour to spare on the night, please contact our Fair Coordinators, Becky Brown email@example.com and Ushie Tuck firstname.lastname@example.org
The ISPTA Charity Raffle Draw will be held on the same night as the Fair at 9pm. We look forward to your support in making this our most successful raffle yet.
On a separate note, as part of the review of the PTA’s administration, we are revamping the PTA forms to ensure clarity. Thank you to those families who have recently joined. To continue offering the level of service and support to our community, we depend on the goodwill of parents to support the PTA. Please rest assured that we have the best interest of your children at heart in all that we do. We are after all, Island School parents too.
We look forward to seeing you all at the Spring Cultural Fair!
Amani Sue and Toni Flynn
Welcome to our new ISPTA Administrator!
We are thrilled to have her join the Island School community!
Spring Cultural Fair - April 12
Things to see and do at the Spring Fair...
* Music, Entertainment and Dancing from Around the World *
* From Rap to Opera (including performances from the winners of SITE) *
* Dance Performances including Jazz, Flamenco, Irish, Morris, Bollywood and Ballet! * Music & Poetry Recitals * Taiko Drumming *
* Traditional Chinese Calligraphy and Paper Cutting * Origami * Book Sculpture *
* Drama Performances including French Drama Sketches *
* Fashion Show including Trashion Show, Y9 Board Shorts, Y11 GCSE Designs and National Costumes from Around The World *
* Year 9 Art Competition * Master Chef Finals *
* Exhibition Basketball, Table Tennis and Netball *
* Traditional Maori Haka Performance * Karate and Martial Arts Demonstration *
* Food Hall offering delicious Cuisines from China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, The Mediterranean and The Philippines *
* Cake & Dessert Stall * Bar *
* PTA stalls, including 2nd Hand Books, Kitchenware and White Elephants! *
ISPTA Charity Raffle with Amazing Prizes including:
* Cathay Pacific Business Class Flights *
* Holiday at the Plantation Bay Resort in the Philippines *
* Junk Trip * Retina display iPads * Chanel Wallet and Scarf *
* Shangri-La Food and Beverage Vouchers *
And many many more! *
Charity Cookbook - please send us your recipes!
PLEASE just take a second to send us your favourite recipe for inclusion in our Charity Cookbook!
Also, if you would be interested in taking an advert in the Cookbook, please email me. Very competitive rates! Contact Becky on email@example.com
What is the ISPTA Charity Raffle all about?
Every year we hold a Charity Raffle Draw to fund much needed equipment for Island School. Below are some of the items funded by the ISPTA:
· Cardiovascular suite
· Science equipment
· Signature Riser for Music department
· iMac Music Work Station
· 2 Large Art printing presses
· Junior and Senior Prizes
The funds raised also go to supporting the wider Hong Kong community through the Nicola Myers and Kenneth McBride Memorial Fund.
The aim of the Fund is to assist local Hong Kong secondary school students in continuing their education by granting scholarship funds to help cover the cost of books, travel, uniforms etc. The scholarship funds are awarded to students who are in genuine financial need and without which, would not be able to continue with their sixth-form education.
The ISPTA is committed to continuing to support the Fund because in the words of former Island School Vice-Principal Chris Forse, Kenneth and Nicola were "the embodiment of all that we stand for: bright, confident and caring."
Your children will be bringing home a book of tickets and a letter by Friday, 15th March. They will have around 3 weeks to sell them. All unsold tickets must be returned to the PTA office by Wednesday 10th April. The draw will be held on the night of the Spring Cultural Fair, Friday April 12th at 9pm.
Here are some of the raffle prizes on offer:
- Two Cathay Pacific Business class tickets to Sapporo Value: $28,000
- 4 days/3 nights for 2 adults and 2 children plus a massage for 2 at Plantation Resort in Cebu Value: $6500
- Chanel Wallet and Scarf Value: $6500 each
- Junk Trip for up to 27 people Value: $5500
- iPad with Retina Display 16GB Wi-Fi Value: $3,880
- iPad Mini 32GB Wi-Fi Value: $3,880
- Island Shangri-La Buffet for six people Value: $3600 and much, much more!
ISPTA - Did You Know?
PTA Committee meeting minutes summary for March 4, 2013
- The chairs introduced and welcomed our new PTA administrator, Sharon Chan
- Spring Fair events will include master-chef finals; performances by Y7, Y8 and Y9; paper sculpture; Third-Culture-Kid poems; “Dance-around-the-world” (Bollywood, Morris dancing, flamenco etc), sumptuous international food hall and more!
- Recipes are still being collected for the cultural cookbook
- Rebecca confirmed that the parent handbook for 2013-2014 will clarify that PTA membership is mandatory per the ESF ordinance
- Careers day will target the middle years students (Y8-Y11). It will be a 2 hour format in June. Potential speakers must be able to stay for the full duration (2 hours) and ideally will be from the following areas: architecture, events management, PR, psychology, research / science, media, medicine, journalism, entrepreneur, finance and law
- Stars In Their Eyes ran last week and was hugely successful
- IB Art exhibition is on this week and all parents are encouraged to attend
- The annual staff recruitment drive has concluded and 10 posts have been filled. Applications were strong
- Senior prefects have been selected. There has been a rigorous process.
Chris noted that the school needs (and wants) to keep its options open until a more suitable solution is found than the proposals currently being tabled. Parent’s patience, support and understanding will be greatly appreciated.
The school still needs more support (from EDB as well as the broader IS community) to find alternative sites - whether vacant school sites for decanting purposes, or greenfield sites to build from scratch.
All ideas for sites are welcome (vacant school sites being generally quite easy to identify).
Need to pay your PTA Membership Fees?
If you feel that you may have forgotten to pay your 2012/13 fees, please call or email the PTA office to check on 2140 6806 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please click here to download a form and enclose a cheque payable to: ‘Island School PTA Limited'.
Thank you for your support!
School Uniforms - get ready for Spring!
PTA uniform shop opening hours are:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday: 10:00 am - 3:30 pm
Wednesday: 10:00 am – 2:30 pm
Island School PTA is the owner of the copyright in all content of this publication. Distributing, modifying, copying or using any content of this publication in any manner for public or commercial purposes without written permission from Island School is strictly prohibited. Views expressed in this publication do not necessarily represent those of Island School or the English Schools Foundation.