Friday, March 2, 2018
Thoughts from Mrs. Lewis....
FROM CABINET - Full DPI report concerning discipline in- significant improvements - one category was recognized by the state.Provides dropout and discipline data - biggest celebration is dropout rate; 2.31 for NC - slight increase; Scotland one of several - largest 3 year decrease; we are on target to do better this year; graduation rate is at the highest ever; reportable crimes decreased statewide; suspensions and expulsions - decrease statewide - Scotland had significant improvement to prior years
Employee Health Fair - March 23 - 7:30-10:30 SHS; Blood Drive will take place at Sycamore Lane Elementary in the gym - 10:00-2:30 - will be a community blood drive; more details to come; thanks to schools who have placed the flyers
Staff, we are headed into the home stretch. It is important that we tighten up on discipline and hold the fort down. Spring and the end of year is coming.
A meeting was held on Friday with 8th grade students concerning Prom Requirements and Dress Guidelines. Students who receive OSS or more than 2 ISS referrals will be ineligible to attend. Details are attached.
We will have a variety show on March 29th that will include the second installment of "The Voice". Students do not want to miss out. Students that receive OSS and/or ISS since February 26 are not eligible to attend.
Mark your calendar for the upcoming Faculty Meeting to be held on Tuesday, March 6th. Plan to stay until at least 5:00pm. (Required)
Please review your data and ensure that you are providing intense instruction on the skills you know students have not mastered, especially with those topics that are the major standards on the EOG/EOC. We will develop a plan for the remainder of the year for those standards. Improvements should be seen on repeat standards.
During Spartan Time, it is suggested that on Math/Sci Days, leftover students should be completing a math/sci assignments given by the math/sci teacher. On ELA/SS days, leftover students should be completing ELA/SS days. Small group instruction should be taken place in all LEFTOVER classrooms. Teachers should be working with students during this time to improve students' understanding. Every minute counts.
Benchmarks will be held on the days listed below. Mr. Dunham will send out details of the schedule and specifics of testing.
Wed (Mar 14) ELA Benchmark
Fri (March 16) Math Benchmark
Monday (Mar 19) Science Benchmark and/or Comprehensive Test for 6/7 Science and Social Studies Classes
Teachers, please go ahead and have students make goals for their benchmarks. We will have ice cream sundaes for students that score a 60 or better on their benchmark on Monday, February 26th. See the attachment.
Please be reminded that teachers should be up and circulating during teaching. Sitting in a chair and/or desk does not allow monitoring of students and/or interaction with students. Small group instruction is the only time we should be seated since we are working with students.
Students leaving for buses has gotten better, but it is important that you are monitoring students at the end of the day. Please refer back to your bus list given at the beginning of the year to ensure students do not leave prematurely.
Congratulations to Carson Buie whose poster entry for the Carolina Career Development Contest has been selected at the state level. She will know move on to the National Level. Congratulations to Carson!
March 9 is our 1/2 PD Day. Lunch will be provided. Please see the early dismissal schedule attached.
Bi-monthly duty free lunches for teams that have perfect attendance; Beginning the week of Feb 26. The first duty free lunch, by team, will be held on Friday, March 9th.
REMINDER: Grade level teachers need to walk students to Elective classes, not just drop off in the lobby. Elective teachers will walk back students to their grade level classrooms after Electives.
DISTRICT REQUIREMENT: Please remind teachers of the district expectation to enter grades in PowerSchool on a weekly basis. Parents, guardians, and student use the Parent/Student Portal to check grades and should be able to see their up-to-date progress.
We will now celebrate our students each 9 weeks. A tentative Awards Date have been set for the 3rd Nine weeks, March 27. Mark your calendars. Stay tuned for more details.
- A reminder that this is the first year that 8th grade students enrolled in NC Math I will not be required to take the 8th grade Math EOG. Scores for students taking NC Math I in 8th grade will only count for the middle school and will not be banked for the high school. Please ensure that 8th grade Math teachers are preparing separate lessons for 8th grade Math and NC Math I.
- Student are able to request club changes by emailing Ms. Brayboy.
- 2nd semester club meetings: March 9, April 13, April 20.
- Make sure to put your attendance roster from club meetings in Ms. Brayboy's box so it can be corrected.
- Mrs. Amanda's Church (First Thessalonians Temple in Maxton, NC) is having a plate sale on Saturday, March 3, 2018 from 10:30am - 4:00pm. Meat Choices include BBQ Ribs ($8.00), BBQ Chicken ($7.00) and Fried Fish (&7.00) - you get two sides with choices of Sausage Dirty Rice, Mac N Cheese, Baked Beans, Coleslaw, Hushpuppies, Drink and Dessert and Cake.
- There will be a sign up sheet in the front office for a plate sale on Friday, March 9, 2018 that consists of Collard Sandwiches (includes fat back and pepepers) for $5.00, Collard Sandwich Plate (includes Collard Sandwich and 2 Whole Wings) $7.00 and Collard Sandwich and Chicken and a Drink for $8.00. This plate sale is for the James Underwood Scholarship, Jr.
- A huge shout out to Mr. Dunham, Mrs. Davis, Ms. X. McRae, Mrs. Spencer,Mr. Quick, Mrs. Eley, Ms. Blue, Mr. Bream, Mrs. Gore, Nurse Mears and all others that contributed to the Black History Program. There were so many groups of students and staff members that that made it such a heartfelt and inspirational time.
- Thank you to our Elective Team and Mrs. Pegues for stepping up to the plate to provide coverage when needed. I appreciate your willingness to help out and a moments notice.
- Shout out to Mrs. Griswold for helping organizing 8th grade prom expectations.
- Thank you Mr. Hersey for helping prep of the Glow Party on Tuesday. Thank you Ms. Gibson and Ms. Kingston for helping with the pizza party.
- Utilizing your Canvas course container is an effective way to continue instruction during school closing or delays. If they have questions or need guidance, please direct them to either Kevin Combs or Candice Freeman for assistance.
Make sure to notify administration or Mrs. Fehlman when you suspect child abuse or neglect. See the agreement between SCS and DSS here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11pVs4aMBIqUxqPBjfVgXJZtMOg9LaEzHGrc-ICsha-E/edit
From Cabinet- just a reminder that your teachers should be entering their own absences in AESOP. The school bookkeeper or no other staff should be putting in absences for anyone unless there is an emergency that arises.
- Do you have paper on your door or covering your door window? If so, please remove due to fire code violations.
IT is an expectation that planning takes place each week and that all teachers are present and all time. Even if you are 2 weeks ahead, planning should take place each week for the entire time.
Are you calling parents??? Make sure you are calling parents regarding attendance concerns (and document such). When we go to court, it helps when we can show ALL the contacts that have been made from the school (not just from PowerSchool letters and Social Worker contacts) (From Cabinet)]
Tuesday, March 6 - Faculty Meeting 4:00pm
Thursday, March 8- Safety Committee Meeting in Conference Room at 4:00pm
Friday, March 9 - PBIS TLC (20 scans); 1/2 Day Required PD (Lunch will be provided) Dismissal at 12:17pm
Monday, March 12 – BB / SB Home 4:15pm
Tuesday, March 13 – Soccer Away @ Anson 4:15pm
Wednesday, March 14 – Principal Leadership; Benchmark Window (Mar 14 – 22)
Thursday, March 15 – AP Leadership; Artalympics; BB / SB Home 4:15pm
Friday, March 16- PBIS TLC (20 scans); Hockey Field Trip
Saturday, March 17 – St. Patrick’s Day – Wear Green
Monday, March 19 - BB / SB vs, Carver @ SHS 6:00pm
Tuesday, March 20 – SIT Meeting at 4:00; Track Away @ Hoke 4:00pm
Wednesday, March 21 – Wacky Wednesday (Fast Food Gift Card Pack); Kick Butts Day (Stand against Tobacco); BB / SB Away @ Anson Blue 4:15pm
Thursday, March 22 – PBIS TLC (15 scans); 7th Grade Field Trip; End of 3rd Nine Weeks; Soccer Home 4:15pm
Friday, March 23 – Optional Teacher Workday
Monday, March 26 - BB / SB Home 4:15pm; Benchmark Reward during lunches - Ice cream Sundaes
Tuesday, March 27 - Soccer Home 4:15pm
Wednesday, March 28 – Report Cards Go Home; End of 9 Weeks AR Celebration
Thursday, March 29 – Spring Pictures; Third Nine Weeks Awards Program 9:00am; PBIS Variety Show 2:15pm; BB / SB Away @ Rockingham 4:00pm; Soccer Away @ Sandy Grove 4:15pm
Friday, March 30 (Good Friday) thru Sunday, April 8- Spring Break (No School)