City Schools CONNECT 1.10.23
January 10, 2023
January 10, 2023
- Latest News
- Under Armour Student-Athlete of the Month
- School Choice applications
- Saturday School credit recovery
- Budget feedback
- Virtual Learning Plan for inclement weather
- Progress Report
- City news and more
- Heart of the School awards
- One Book Baltimore Student Showcase
- YouthWorks applications
2023 Black History Oratory Competition
- Upcoming Events and Dates
Under Armour Student-Athletes of the Month
Do you know a student-athlete that shows exceptional leadership on the field as a teammate and in the classroom? Each month one male and one female athlete will be recognized with this distinct honor of being named Under Armour's Student-Athlete of the Month!
Middle and High School Choice
School Choice applications are due January 20!
Fifth and eighth-grade students and their families should complete the applications in Campus Portal. Learn more about middle and high school options, get additional information about the school choice process, and watch informational videos at our Virtual Choice Fair.
Families, please note that in the upcoming years, City Schools will be renovating the high schools listed below. During renovations, students will attend school in swing spaces that have already been determined. For more information, including swing space addresses, click HERE.
- Baltimore City College
- Baltimore Polytechnic Institute
- Frederick Douglass High School
- Western Senior High School
Saturday School credit recovery
High school students who need to make up course credits before graduation are encouraged to enroll in Baltimore City Public Schools’ free Saturday School program.
Students must register in-person on January 21, or the last day to register is January 28. Saturday School runs for 14 weeks (January 28 to May 20) from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
For more information, please contact your student's school counselor, and click HERE to view course options by program and site.
Planning for the 2023-24 school year budget is underway. The first step in the process is to hear from you about what you value and what you want to see at the district and your school.
Every school will also host Priority Engagement Sessions to gather input about the school's priorities as the school leader works on developing their budget for next year. A list of school-based Priority Engagement Sessions can be found here.
Virtual Learning Plan for inclement weather
The Virtual Learning Plan that was approved by the Board of School Commissioners, will pivot classes to virtual learning during times of school closure due to inclement weather. Virtual learning will go into effect after three traditional weather days have been used. This will support student learning continuity and minimize the impact that closures have on the school year calendar.
City news and more
Heart of the School awards
Would you like to thank a Baltimore City Public Schools principal for the impact he or she has on students, families, communities, and educators?
Celebrate their work by nominating them for the 2023 Heart of the School Awards, the annual event at the Hippodrome honoring City Schools principals. Nominations are open until January 31. Anyone can nominate so spread the word! It takes just a few minutes.
One Book Baltimore Student Showcase
Calling all seventh and eighth grade students! One Book Baltimore is looking for performers for the One Book Baltimore Student Showcase. This is your chance to express your feelings about themes in this year's book, Furia through spoken word, song, dance, visual arts and video. Entries will be accepted until January 20. Click the button below for more information.
The 2023 Black History Oratory Competition is open
Now is the chance for high school students to speak up about the issues that matter! Essays are due by January 25. Direct students to the following links: Instructions and Student Application. Speeches will be streamed online, in their entirety, on CBS News Baltimore. The Winners will be announced on TV, during WJZ’S Black History Oratory Competition Special!
In January we celebrate...
- 11: Early Release Day for schools, half day for staff and central office
- 11: Reginald F. Lewis High School Open House - 8:30 a.m.
- 12: Mount Royal Open House - 9 a.m.
- 12: Baltimore Leadership School for Young Women Open House - 6 p.m.
- 12: Special Work Session for Annual Review Recommendations - 7 p.m. (Join HERE)
- 13: Tunbridge Public Charter School Open House - 8:30 a.m.
- 16: Martin Luther King Jr. Day - Schools and offices closed
- 17: Operations Committee meeting - 10:30 a.m.
- 17: Policy Committee meeting - 4 p.m.
- 18: Baltimore Design School Open House - 4:30 p.m.
- 18: Augusta Fells Savage Institute of Visual Arts Open House - 5 p.m.
- 19: PCAB meeting - 6:30 p.m.
Find more information for...
Complaints/ Concerns: 410-545-1870
Special Education Parent Response Unit: 443-984-1561