Weekly News & Notes - March 18th - 22nd
Upcoming Events . . .
- Reading Olympics - Mill Creek Elementary School
- 5th Grade Field Trip - Moland House
- Early Dismissal
- No AM Kindergarten (PM attends during morning session)
- Student Portfolios Sent Home
- Passover Begins
- Student Portfolios Due Back to Classroom Teacher
- Portfolio Conferences
- No School for Students
- Good Friday - School Holiday
April 1st - 2nd:
- Kindergarten Conferences
- No Kindergarten Classes
- Home & School Spirit Night - Chick-Fil-A 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM
- Cyberbullying Program for Parents - Mill Creek Elementary School @ 7:00 PM
- Phillies Spirit Day - Sponsored by 6th grade
April 8th - 12th:
- PSSA Testing Grades 3 - 6 - Reading & Math
We're Going Where?!?
Earlier this week Titus students visited the Cleveland Museum of Natural History while others toured the Alaska Sea Life Center...all without leaving the classroom. Miss Gieseler’s class and Mrs. Williamson's class visited the Cleveland Museum of Natural History to explore concepts in human structure and function, from cells to organs to organ systems, enhancing the classroom instruction surrounding the "Human Body in Motion" unit.
Miss Braksator's 4th grade class took a virtual beach walk of the Alaska Coast. They interacted with and discussed tide pool creatures, while learning about the physical adaptations that allow them to live in varying tide zones. This ties nicely into Miss Braksator's current writing unit, where students are researching their own sea creatures to draft an informative essay. All of the animals addressed during the video conference are currently being researched by the students.
A special thank you goes out to the teachers for the planning and research they did to bring tangible and valuable resources into the classroom! I would be remiss if I did not note that these opportunities were made possible through video conferencing equipment provided by the Central Bucks School District and the direction & support of our staff development personnel. Together they have created a very valuable classroom experience for these students!
Drop Off & Arrival . . .
Please be aware that the school day begins at 8:35 in the classroom. It is my recommendation that children are dropped off no later than 8:30 in order to get to their classrooms for the start of the school day at 8:35. If a student arrives in their classroom beyond 8:35 they are considered tardy. The adults supervising the car-rider drop-off line will be on duty until 8:32. Students dropped off after 8:32 will more than likely not be able to make it to their classrooms on time for the start of the school day at 8:35.
Also, for safety reasons, students arriving to school prior to 8:15, need to be supervised by their parent/caregiver. We ask that they wait with their family member in a parking space until 8:15.
Poster Contest . . .
To help promote National Nutrition Month, ARAMARK Education is sponsoring a poster contest for students of the Central Bucks School District. Students are asked to choose one of the nutritional themes listed below and create their own artwork. The top elementary, middle and high school artwork will be chosen by a panel of judges. Each winner will receive a $100 gift certificate. Additional information can be found through the hyperlink above.
- Get Your Plate In Shape
- Eat Right With Color
- Power Up With Breakfast
- Snack Smart
Attn. 3rd Grade Families . . .
Thank you to everyone who has offered their time to volunteer with our third grade classrooms. The "VolunteerSpot" platform has proven to be very effective. We have taken the next step in the project and have extended the 3rd grade opportunites through the end of the year. To see all the available volunteer opportunities for 3rd grade, simply click here.
As I have shared before, this is a process, and our long term goal is to offer a similar system across all grade levels. Thank you for your time and we look forward to seeing you soon!
Home & School Association:
Pictures Needed . . .
Also the response to 6th grade memories has been great, but we really want to make sure we have pictures of each student, so please consider sending some pictures of your 6th grader.
CBSD School Board:
School Board Briefs . . .
At the March 12, 2013 School Board Meeting, the Central Bucks School District School Board:
- Heard the Holicong Select String Ensemble performance before the school board meeting.
- Heard the Superintendent’s State of the District presentation and the I.U. Board Committee Report.
- Approved School Board Minutes.
- Approved the Aramark Contract extension and the water tank hydrostatic coating contract for Gayman Elementary School.
- Approved School Board Policy 806 – Child Student Abuse.
- Approved various personnel items, student trips, and staff workshops.
- Received a Sabbatical Leave of Absence and the Board Calendar as information items.