Schoology and Academy District 20
Where Learning Happens │ July 6, 2018
Where are we now?
We are up and running! We have about a third of our pilot members at some stage of the Getting Started with Schoology course. We have people attending the drop-in support sessions every week. We have had 128 discussion posts and over 2000 page views. It’s great to see so many people interacting with Schoology!
What you are able to do:
- Migrate your ALEC resources
- Create units
- Create lessons
- Curate resources
- Start your professional learning experience.
- See examples
- Participate in a variety of activities.
Don’t forget about the Recent Activity feed - ask questions and provide feedback as necessary.
Keep in mind:
You won’t be able to create a class. Classes will be imported from IC later. Don’t worry, creating in Resources is a best practice. Grade passback and parent account access won’t be initially ready, either. As we make progress with those features we’ll communicate updates.
We’re at the beginning of a journey. We have a lot of ground to cover and we’re just learning the terrain. Partner with us by participating, asking questions, and providing feedback so that we can continue to grow.
Migrating Your ALEC Resources to Schoology
You will be able to import your ALEC files into Schoology. To assist in this process, we are creating backups for you!
Use the attached PDF to assist you with downloading your ALEC files and uploading them to a Collection in your Resources. You are also welcome to visit us during one of our support sessions for help with this process.
Note: Some people have experienced an error with downloading their backup. The directions contain a workaround if that happens.
How do I start?
Your first step will be to join our ASD20 Getting Started with Schoology course. This course will walk you through some of the basics about using Schoology as a Learning Management System.
- Login at asd20.schoology.com (Chrome is the preferred browser.)
- For your initial login, use your complete email address: firstname.lastname@example.org (Subsequent logins will not require your complete email address. Schoology should remember you.)
- Click on “Courses” in the top menu bar.
- Click on “See All Courses” at the far right.
- Click the “Join a Course” button on the right.
- Use this course Access Code: 5XK69-CHSJH.
(More units will appear as we progress along our journey.)
Want some guided help?
Great! Your Digital Integration Services team is here to help you! We’re offering drop-in for support next week from 9:00 AM - 11:30 AM in Spruce 3 at the EAC on the following days:
- Monday, July 9
- Friday, July 13
Visit the course Calendar in Schoology for dates and time of additional drop-in support sessions.
Need Technical Help?
- Contact your DLC regarding any District apps that need to be integrated. They'll submit a Help Desk ticket if it something that can be integrated.
- Having technical troubles? Submit a Help Desk ticket (email@example.com) with the subject heading "Schoology."
Did you use the Basic (free) version?
Great! We have a special webinar coming soon to help guide you through the transition from the Basic to the Enterprise version.
While the Basic (free) version of Schoology is a great tool on its own, there are features and benefits to the Enterprise version that may be new to you. We have designing the agenda with our Schoology trainer to highlight those differences and some of the newer features in addition to including time for you to ask your own questions. This is a great opportunity to level up your practice using Schoology!
We’re excited to offer this special opportunity for you on July 20 from 12:00-3:00. Those pilot members that identified themselves as Schoology Basic users will be invited. If you feel you fit in group, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll try and get you added. There's limited space, so don't wait too long!
These resources are a nice supports for Assignments, Resources and navigating the NEW Schoology environement.
Learning Services and Digital Integration Services are partnering with Schoology to develop our training program. You will be receiving online and face-to-face learning and support opportunities.
There are two (2) courses for you to join:
- In Schoology - Getting Started with Schoology = this is growing and developing course to walk you through the process of getting to know Schoology. Join code = 5XK69-CHSJH.
- In the SPOT - Schoology Support for Pilot Participants: Foundations and Best Practices = this is where you register in order to receive credit for your work. Course ID=1819-017-20.
In time, this process will become more streamlined and Schoology will link with our Professional Learning program at ASD20.
Your support will include online instruction and resources in the Schoology platform, face-to-face drop in sessions throughout the summer and school year, webinars, plus additional workshops and formal training opportunities. Do you need instant support? Schoology has an extensive resource collection to help, too!
Keep logging your hours!
Here Are Some Great Support Articles
As with any new adventure, there are questions and concerns. We'd love to hear them! Submit your questions, comments and concerns, and we'll do our best to address them in the following weekly newsletter.