LoES Eagle News
January 5, 2018
A Message From Our Administrative Team
2018 is off to a cold start as students returned to school on Tuesday, January 2nd. This past week, we also experienced our first weather-related delay and closing. You can learn more information about the process for school delays and closings in the "News & Notes" section below. Additionally, you can get information about how to receive county-wide notifications regarding closings and delays here. Despite the shortened week we experienced upon returning from winter break, our faculty and staff have spent time listening to students share events from their time off, reiterating routines within the classroom and providing instruction that will finish out the second quarter of the 2017-2018 school year (Friday, January 26th). We are looking forward to a number of events scheduled during the month of January and you learn more about these events in the "Upcoming Dates" section below. Thank you for your continued partnership and best wishes for a great start to 2018!
LoES Administrative Team
- Monday, January 8th - ACCESS testing begins for students receiving ESOL services
- Tuesday, January 9th through Thursday, January 11th - Smile Savers Dental Clinic at LoES (*more information below)
- Wednesday, January 10th - General PTA Meeting beginning at 7:00 pm
- Monday, January 15th - HCPSS Schools and Offices closed for MLK Day
- Tuesday, January 16th - HCMS Music/Schedule Orientation (*more information below)
- Thursday, January 18th - LoES Spelling Bee competition
- Thursday, January 25th - Winter Band & Strings Concert at WLHS beginning at 7:00 pm
- Friday, January 26th - End of Quarter 2 - Half Day for students
Click HERE to view the LoES Community Calendar for future events
News & Notes
- Big Smiles Dental Clinic - LoES has partnered with Big Smiles to offer in-school dental care. Best of all, there is no cost to you if your child is insured with Medicaid or CHIP! Private insurance and affordable self-pay options are also available. Having your child seen by the in-school dentist saves you valuable time. Top quality care is provided by local, licensed dentists right in the familiar surroundings of your child’s school. Dental care includes a complete exam, x-rays, cleaning, fluoride, and sealants when needed. Restorative care, such as fillings, may also be provided. Our clinic will be held on January 9th, 10th, and 11th.
- HCPSS Inclement Weather Procedures - The decision to delay or close schools for inclement weather starts at 3:15 a.m. with the Director of Transportation and other supervisors reviewing weather conditions and driving roads across the county. Learn more here.
- Seminars at LoES - the 2nd round of seminars will be offered to students when we return in January. Check out the topics and contact Mrs. Veid or Mrs. Williams if you need more information.
- HCMS Music/Schedule Orientation - this letter will help guide you and your child through the selection process for sixth grade music performance. After reading this letter, we encourage you and your child to discuss her/his strengths and interests to ensure a successful transition to middle school.
- School Start Times for 2018-2019 - The Howard County Board of Education voted to retain the existing model for school start and dismissal times for the 2018–2019 academic year during its regularly scheduled meeting on December 19, 2017. Learn more here.
- Road to Kindergarten - Do you have a child who will be 5 years old by September 1, 2018? Please join us for an information session about Kindergarten in the Howard County Public School System. Learn more about the sessions here.
LoES PTA Corner
- Please follow us on Facebook (Longfellow Elementary School PTA)
- HELP WANTED! We need volunteers for the yearbook! There won’t be a yearbook unless there are parent volunteers! Please contact Lisa Wynne @ email@example.com, if you are interested.
- Please consider using the LOES PTA AmazonSmile link: http://smile.amazon.com/ch/23-7111263 when doing your online shopping!
- Certifikid (www.certifikid.com) offers many deals on family and kid-only entertainment. Use promo code "LOES" at checkout for any purchases $30 and over to receive $5 off. The best part is Longfellow ES PTA will also receive $5 for every purchase made!
- The PTA Spring Fair Committee is looking for volunteers for the Spring Fair! Saturday, May 12th. Volunteer opportunities include: Planning committee, set-up/take-down, games, concessions, silent auction, staff raffle/basket organization, ticket sales, advertising, and more! Please contact Brooke Dalesio or Lisa Wynne for more info.
- Next PTA Meeting - Wednesday, January 10th!