Bowman Eagle Gazette
November 18, 2019
Stay tuned for our K-8 Bowman Eagle Gazette beginning in December!
Caught in the Middle!
Did you know?
- More than nine school days missed can lead to disengagement and cause a student to get off-track to graduation.
- By grade six, absenteeism is one of three signs a student may drop out of high school.
- By grade nine, regular and high attendance is a better predictor of graduation rates than grade eight test scores.
- Missing 10 percent, or about 18 days, of a school year can drastically impact a student’s academic success.
- Students who were chronically absent in kindergarten and 1st grade are far less likely to read proficiently at the end of third grade.
We're Playing Basketball!
Join us to cheer them on to victory:
- Monday, November 18, 2019, 5:00 pm (Middle school girls & boys)
- Tuesday, November 19, 2019, 5:00 pm (Elementary, middle school girls & boys)
- Friday, November 21, 2019, 5: 00 pm (Middle school girls & boys)
Congratulations to Mrs. Combs! We're so proud of you!
- NWEA testing begins on Monday, November 18, 2019.
- Character shirt day is Tuesday, November 19, 2019, for $1. Scholars may wear a character shirt (cartoon, superheroes, etc.) with their regular Thea Bowman uniform bottoms and shoes.
- Progress reports will be sent home in Thursday folders on Thursday, November 21, 2019.
- Picture retake day is Friday, November 21, 2019. Scholars MUST be in their regular Thea Bowman uniform.
- Thanksgiving Break is November 25-29, 2019. Enjoy your time with your family and loved ones.
Sunday News at 7
ALL scholars are expected to be in the correct uniform from head to toe.
- Hoodies are NOT allowed to be worn during the school day. Students may wear a white, burgundy, or grey sweater.
- As the weather changes, thermals or long sleeve shirts worn under uniform shirts, must be white, burgundy, grey, or black. Leggings or tights worn under skirts, must also be white, burgundy, grey, or black.
- All black boots may be worn all day. Pants must fit on top of the boots. Any other color boots will have to be changed and scholars will have to put on their uniform shoes.
- A BELT MUST be worn with pants and shorts that have belt hooks.
- Solid black, solid white or a combination of black and white shoes may be worn. No additional colors including the sole, logos, symbols and writing.
- For gym, jogging pants and shorts must be loose fitting-NO leggings, jeggings, fitted yoga pants, compression pants, etc.
- Uniform shirts MUST be TUCKED IN.
Any scholars in violation of the uniform policy will lose Kickboard points. Consistent violation of the policy will result in a discipline referral.
School Closings & Delays
Please be advised that if the school is closed we will reach out to families in the following manner:
1. Automated phone call system (robocalls)
2. Posting on our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/theabowmanel
3. Posting on the Emergency Closing Center website: www.emergencyclosingcenter.com
4. Posting on our website: https://www.phalenacademies.org/TheaBowman
Please be sure that your phone number is updated in our system. You can update your number by calling the school or sending a note with your child.
We advise all parents to develop a plan for the care of your scholars when school is closed. When school closes, especially after the school day has begun, scholars need to know specifically where they are to go and what they are to do. Please be very clear in instructing a scholar on what they are to do.
Morning Arrival Procedure
The safety of our scholars is our number one priority. Here are a few things to remember during your drop off experience:
- The drop off lane is the right-hand lane in front of the Polk street doors. The left-hand lane is the passing lane.
- Scholars are to exit from the RIGHT PASSENGER SIDE ONLY!!
- Parents, please do not park or exit vehicles in the drop off lane.
- Once scholars exit the vehicle safely, carefully merge into the passing lane by following the crossing guard's directions.
- If you need to park, please pull in front of the "DROP OFF ONLY" sign or the parking lot.
One of our male staff members will be there to greet you and your scholar with a smile!
We thank you all in advance for your cooperation!