Local Farmers Market
Not only a market, but a tool for community sharing
What came to mind when thinking about local farmers markets
Coming from Seattle it made sense to think about the Pike Place Market as a farmers market of all farmers market because of the history and sheer size of it. It has become a national symbol of Seattle and one of the must see tourist destinations when visiting Seattle. The market brings different cultures and culinary expertise and ingredients from local growers and also people who moved here.
Local Farmers Market
West Seattle Farmers Market
- Started in 1999
- Over 35 Washington State farmers and small food processors
- Held every Sunday year-round from 10am-2pm
- Fresh fruit from both sides of the state include berries, cherries, peaches, nectarines, apples, and melons.
- Market tables are also loaded with local organic produce, all kinds of seasonal vegetables, fresh farm cheeses, herbs, mushrooms, free-range chicken and eggs, seafood, pastured organic beef, ciders, honey, preserves, fresh baked bread and pastries, cut flowers, and plant starts
- Hosts live music and other events throughout the season
Why is it better to buy local
- Enables you to purchase fresh fruit, veggies, and products made by local farmers
- Purchasing food that is not being trucked in from far places;less carbon footprint
- Supporting farmers that face many challenges; owning land, competing with larger farmers, receiving fair compensation for their products
Changing the Food Wheel
It is a matter of choice and some argue that it does not make a difference in buying locally in terms of price, energy taken to produce and ship. However, there is an impact in buying locally and supports a sustainable practice that gives back to the local economy and the farmers who live in the same area as us.
What impact does it have on the community
My take away from this experience
What can you do?
- Learn about local farmers markets in your area and visit one
- Look at more sustainable ways of purchasing and consuming food
- Spread the word to others who don't know how local farmers markets can be beneficial