- affects an estimated 1 in every 2,000 people in the United States. That’s 200,000 Americans, and approximately 3 million worldwide.
- only 25% people who have narcolepsy have been diagnosed and are receiving treatment.
A very short but creative introduction to Narcolepsy
Did you know that there is a disorder called "restless legs syndrome?"
- 7% of the population suffers from symptoms such as creepy-crawly feelings in their legs that interrupt sleep.
- cramping maybe symptoms of this syndrome
here is a video ...
Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)
caused by complete or partial obstructions of the upper airway.
- Excessive daytime sleepiness.
- Loud snoring.
- Observed episodes of breathing cessation during sleep.
- Abrupt awakenings accompanied by shortness of breath.
- Awakening with a dry mouth or sore throat.
- Awakening with chest pain.
- Morning headache.
- ■ Approximately 42 million American adults have SDB1
- ■ 1 in 5 adults has mild OSA2
- ■ 1 in 15 has moderate to severe OSA2
- ■ 9% of middle-aged women and 25% of middle-aged men suffer from OSA3
- ■ Prevalence similar to asthma (20 million) and diabetes (23.6 million) of US population
- ■ 75% of severe cases remain undiagnosed
Obstructive Sleep Apnea
characterized by difficulty falling and/or staying asleep
- Difficulty falling asleep at night
- Awakening during the night
- Awakening too early
- Not feeling well rested after a night's sleep
- Daytime tiredness or sleepiness
- Irritability, depression or anxiety
- Difficulty paying attention, focusing on tasks or remembering
- Increased errors or accidents
- People today sleep 20% less than they did 100 years ago.
- More than 30% of the population suffers from insomnia.
- One in three people suffer from some form of insomnia during their lifetime.
- More than half of Americans lose sleep due to stress and/or anxiety.
- Between 40% and 60% of people over the age of 60 suffer from insomnia.
Insomnia Animation Video
confusion of time
- Nearly 93% of all travellers will experience jet lag at some point.
Toddler Lauren and funny jet leg