GLC Weekly Newsletter
September 19, 2021
What's Happening This Week
Monday, September 20
- Minimum day - Dismissal at 12:50 for all students
- Volleyball practice, 1:00-2:15 p.m.
Tuesday, September 21
- Volunteer orientation & training (Zoom), 2:30 p.m.
(See below for more information)
- Football & volleyball game vs. Valley Life Charter (VLC), 3:30 p.m.
(Football @ Naz Church, Volleyball @ VLC)
Wednesday, September 22
- Early dismissal, 2:15 p.m. (All students)
- Football & volleyball practice, 2:15-3:30 p.m.
- Football & volleyball practice, 3:15-4:30 p.m.
(Game against Three Rivers cancelled until further notification)
- GLC spirit day - Dress up for Sports Day!
- Football practice, 3:15-4:30 p.m.
Remember to Send a Mask with Your Child Daily
Please remember to send your child to school with a mask each day. While we do keep extra masks for students who lose or forget their mask, supplies are limited. We recommend using cloth masks that can be washed and re-used. They are the most economical and earth-friendly!
We have received some requests from families to provide a little something to their child's class in celebration of their child's birthday. We want to honor these requests while also asking you to keep the following in mind:
- Any food must be individually wrapped and store-bought. This allows us to check the nutritional label for any students with dietary restrictions.
- As a healthy alternative to sweets, we encourage families to consider non-food items as party favors (e.g., pencils, stickers, etc.).
- Celebrations will usually be scheduled for the last 10 minutes of the day, in order to ensure we are taking too much time from instruction.
- If your family does not celebrate birthdays and would like your child to be excused from these events, please let us know so we can plan an alternative.
- Please reach out to your child's homeroom teacher 2 days in advance, so they can anticipate and plan for the celebration.
Cold and Hot Lunches
GLC is able to offer hot lunches to all of its students free of charge. Menus for each month are available HERE. The September lunch menus are available in English and Spanish. Students who do not want a hot lunch should bring a cold lunch. We do ask students to choose one or another. Students are not able to have a hot lunch, while also bringing a cold lunch. This interferes with the nutritional value of the hot lunch and results in additional waste. If students are still hungry after a hot lunch, they may eat a snack from home in our snack area during their lunch recess.
Picking Up HEART Students Right After School
If there is a reason you need to pick up your HEART student right after school, please call the front office at least 30 minutes in advance so we can let your child know. Once we are at the dismissal gate, it is difficult to get students who have already gone to HEART back to the gate in a timely manner. Also, when picking up students early, from HEART or our regular day program, please be sure it is for a necessary and valid reason. Thank you!
Volunteer Orientation & Training
We will hold our next Volunteer Orientation &Training this Tuesday (September 21) at 2:30 p.m. via Zoom. If you are interested in attending, Zoom information will be sent out the night prior via ClassTag and our Blackboard text app.
School Site Council (SSC)
We are still are looking for three more parents who would be interested in serving on our School Site Council. We meet six (6) times each year via Zoom. Please reach out to Ms. Aure at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
Writing for Fun
Grade 1-2 students choose to write stories for their Fun Friday celebration.
New School Banners
We are excited to have our new school banners in front of our school.
GLC to be Featured in CA Bountiful Magazine
7th/8th-grade students and staff will be featured in California Bountiful, a magazine published by the California Farm Bureau.
Global Learning Charter School
Global Learning Charter School (GLC) is a public charter school committed to offering relevant, personalized learning opportunities to prepare students to be global-ready in work and life. GLC opened in August of 2017. Currently, we serve approximately 440 students in grades K-8.