La Porte Elementary
Greetings Leopard Families,
I hope you all had a safe and enjoyable Halloween evening, however you chose to spend it. I always love seeing all of the families out together, and it was a beautiful night to be walking in the neighborhoods.
The flu and the stomach bug have taken a big toll on our attendance this past week. Hopefully, with the deep cleaning of the building and parents keeping sick students home, we will be back on track to reaching our 95% daily attendance goal very soon.
A big THANK YOU to Mrs. Horelka, our counselor, for planning lots of fun activities for last week's Wellness Week! The students had a great time with the BACODA lessons and the "dress up" days!
It's a very busy time of year! Make sure you are watching your email and text messages for special events on campus. We are so excited that we are able to have visitors and volunteers on campus again!
Looking forward to continued greatness, Karen Lawley
Principal, LaPorte Elementary
Ms. Horelka's Counselor's Corner
Hello, LPE Families. Can you believe it is already November? This is the perfect time to underscore how enormously grateful we are for the students and families at LPE. Your students all are truly special and make our days so much brighter. Our character trait of the month is gratitude. Throughout the month, we will stress the importance of finding things to be thankful for even when we face challenges. Studies have shown that people who focus on things in their lives that they appreciate are happier and have less anxiety. Thank you for sharing your students with us and making our lives more joyful!
Additionally, we are very fortunate to be supported by the Houston Food Bank with our Backpack Buddy Program. They will provide a bag of food every Friday to students in need. Please reach out by phone or email if this would help your family and I can send you the paperwork to get started.
As always, please reach out if I can help your student or family in other ways.
Save these Dates:
- Election Day! - no school for students
- LPISD Regular School Board Meeting, 7:00pm
- GT Parent Night - Baker 6th grade campus, 6:00pm
- Progress Reports available in HomeAccess; Prek/Kinder report cards go home
- 5th grade Veteran's Day Program, 9:00am
- LPE Field Day (more information to come!)
- November Leopard of the Month celebration in the Library, 7:20am. (Invitations will come home with the student's chosen by their teachers for showing gratitude.)
21st - 25th
- Thanksgiving holidays, no school
- Papa John's Spirit Night (let them know you're with LPE!)
- Christmas on Main
- Winter Wonderland at LPE, 5:50-7:00pm
- Progress Reports available in Home Access
- Written Spelling Bee at LPE
- LPISD School Board Meeting, 7:00pm
- Classroom Christmas parties (information will come home from your child's teacher)
- Early Release at 11:20am
- Winter break, no school for students