AES Community Connection 4/6/22
Stay connected with our school newsletter...
Greetings AES Families!
It has been wonderful to be back in school with the students following Spring Break. We have just over eiight weeks of learning until the end of this school year. These final months are an opportunity for incredible growth and learning for all. Please prioritize school attendance so that your child has the opportunity to engage in the learning experiences our staff will be providing.
One of the most important end of year tasks in preparation for the following school year is class placement. As your child's primary caregiver, you have excellent insight into who they are and we value your thoughts and ideas. Click here for a detailed letter from me explaining our placement process and how you can provide your input. Click HERE for the letter in Spanish.
Next week will be an all school spirit week to support the people of Ukraine who are suffering from the war in Ukraine. All students are welcome to participate in the spirit week, regardless of donation. See below for details.
CMAS is also beginning next week for our 3rd and 4th grade students. Students will be participating in both English Language Arts and Mathematics testing. CMAS is a state manadated test in these grades and your child's participation is very important. Our staff understands the stress that assessments such as these may cause some students and are prepared to support all students. We encourage all students to work hard and give their best effort. Please be sure your child is getting plenty of rest, exercise and healthy nutrition.
Finally, it's that time of year when our Spring Outdoor Education trips will begin. Your child's teacher will reach out to you with more information and volunteer opportunities. We are excited to get our overnight trips in 2nd-4th grade up and running again this year.
All my best,
CMAS 3rd and 4th Graders
CMAS (Colorado Measures of Academic Success) is coming in April. Please mark your calendars and avoid scheduling vacations and appointments on these days. We encourage ALL students to participate in CMAS testing. Please note changes to the 3rd grade schedule below.
3rd grade & 4th grade:
ELA April 11, 13, 15
Math April 12, 14, 19
Last day for make-ups April 25th
Spirit Week & Fundraiser for Ukraine
Monday: PJ Day
Tuesday: Wear Blue & Yellow Ukrainian flag colors to show our support. After school sunflower sale. ($5 cash/stalk)
Wednesday: Wacky Wednesday & snack time Bake Sale! Wacky hair, mismatched clothing, backwards clothing, inside out clothing, etc. (Bake sale items priced $1-$5, please send cash with your child)
Thursday: Neon Day - students encouraged to wear neon colors.
Friday: AES colors day & snack time Popcorn Sale. ($1/bag, please send cash with your child)
All funds raised will go directly to United Help Ukraine.
This hardworking organization is getting materials overseas weekly. Recently they were able to purchase a dozen vehicles to assist refugees fleeing Ukraine. They also are able to send items such as: first-aid kits, medical supplies like hemostatic gauze and tourniquets, boots for volunteers, aid to internally displaced peoples and refugees, generators and oxygen generating stations for hospitals, and other important supplies and projects.
Please use this link to sign up to donate bake sale items and/or sign up to help work the Wednesday bake sale/Friday popcorn.
- March AES Lunch Menu
- The AES Student Handbook (Click here for Spanish) outlines expectations for our school.
- Aspen School District Absences and Excuses Policy (Click here for Spanish)
- AES Attendance (Click here for Spanish)
- Pre-Arranged Absence Form
- School Supplies and tech fees - Click here for more information.
- Please click HERE to see the staff's favorite things!
- Order SPIRIT WEAR anytime with this link!
2021/22 Yearbook Photos
FINAL CALL FOR PHOTOS!!! DUE BY 4/8!
Please use the links below to upload your photos for the Yearbook. Be sure to let us know your child's name by renaming your file, OR you can do it at the bottom of the uploading screen where you can find a spot for a "photo tag."
Traditionally, 4th grade parents send in a baby picture for the yearbook to mark the transition into 5th grade. Please use the link below and directions for uploading that photo.
4th Grade Baby Pictures After choosing your photo there will be a prompt underneath the photo that says, " Use photo tags to describe the images that you are uploading. This will help organization significantly when adding to your book. " Click on the arrow and type your child's name in the tag line. Then, click Start Uploading.
Please use the links below to upload your photos for the yearbook by April 7th.
Reach out to Noel Daugherty with any questions.
Order forms will be coming home soon or order online at: mymjthomas.com - enter code: aspenelemyb2122 - AES Yearbooks are $30. Deadline to order is MONDAY, MAY 2nd.
Does your child ride the bus?
Bus Passes and Bus Changes:
If you need a new bus pass or want your child to catch a different bus home than usual, please visit the Transportation homepage. Links to the Bus Pass Replacement Form and the Bus Change Request Form can be found there. Students will not be allowed on a bus if they are not registered for a bus, and we will not be accepting handwritten notes or text messages from parents allowing students to ride a different bus.
As most of you know, there is a shortage of bus drivers and sporadically bus routes have to be cancelled. Please discuss a backup plan with your child for these scenarios. Sharing this plan with your child's teacher is always a good idea!
More community news...
Gallery Opening for Aspen Student Art Show at the Red Brick
Aspen Student Art Show on View April 20- May 13.
Click HERE to see the flyer with more information.
Young Writers' Institute of Aspen
Open to students currently in grades 2-8.
June 20-24th, 9:00-12:00 each day.
Please see this flyer for more information.
Register at eamcollaborative.com (Click Services in upper right and scroll for Young Writers' Institute of Aspen).
Save the Date! PTO Spring Mixer & Fundraiser Wednesday, May 18th
Please Join Us for Aspen Elementary School PTO Spring Mixer & Fundraiser Wednesday.
May 18th 4-8pm at Home Team BBQ Aspen.
*25% of all sales for AES families go directly to PTO (Takeout too!)
Outdoors & Indoors. Click HERE for the Flyer.
After School Pick-Up Reminders...
- If you walk up to the school, please meet your child on the plaza on the side of the building.
- Students in 3rd and 4th grade may walk to the "rock" at the edge of the parking lot on their own.
- Please remind your child if they have a pick-up change for the day.
- We will remind all students that they are to meet their pick-up adult on the plaza or by the rock.
Thank you! We are seeing a lot of congestion on the sidewalk as we are trying to load the buses. Your help is appreciated.
Mask Optional Guidance...Starting Feb 22
Please take a moment to read the most recent School Health and Safety Update which includes links to more information and a cool graphic.
Please keep in mind, there may be many students and staff who will feel more comfortable wearing a mask. Please respect their decision and help your child to respect that decision as well. This will be a wonderful opportunity to practice CARING for others.
What do I do if my child has symptoms or exposure to COVID-19?
- Please continue to keep you child home if they have symptoms and seek a covid test. Please call the health office to report any positve cases or use the link below.
- Note the isolation period for positive cases is 5 days with improved symptoms. Rapid antigen testing prior to returning to school is recommended, but not requrired.
- Close contacts are not required to quarantine, but should monitor for symptoms and test 5 days following exposure. Contact Pitkin County Public Health for questions.
- Families will notified if clusters of postive cases occur within a classroom and Public Health recommends wearing K95 masks in this case.
- Click here to report at-home positive test results related to ASD.
- Click here to review the PCH Testing and Isolation Algorithm for schools (updated Jan)
- Click here to access Pitkin County Health's covid webpage for more information
- In order to return to school following non-Covid-19 illness a student should have resolution of symptoms for 24 hrs and documentation of a negative covid test should be shared with attendance at email@example.com.
Aspen Elementary SKIERS
At AES our essential agreements guide the way we behave and interact with others throughout our school in every setting. This year, we've adopted the SKIER acronym as a way to frame our essential agreements school wide. We hope that you will reinforce these positive attributes with your child at home.