Green Law Firm
By: Steven Green
Terms You Should Know Going Into Court
- Plaintiff - The one who brings up the case
- Defendant - The one accused or sued in a case
- Complaint - We will file a complaint for you. These are formal statements which name the plaintiff, the defendant and the lawsuit.
- Summons - The judge sends this document which tells the defendant of the case when to appear in court
- Pleadings - We gather evidence to help you in your case!
- Pretrial - A meeting with the judge to prepare for the trial
- Conference - Meeting of attorneys
- Mediation - A mediator assists the two parties in agreeing to a settlement
- Arbitration - Use of a judge to settle a dispute
- Trial - A meeting of two parties to settle a dispute
- Preponderance of Evidence - Superiority of evidence that is more convicting
- Verdict - The decision in a case
- Appeal - The loser of the case may appeal to a higher court if he feels that the decision was unjust.