Cedar River Academy Updates
Information for families and friends to help stay connected.
Progress Reports (report cards) are available electronically through the Parent Portal of Infinite Campus. Please contact your child's teacher if you need assistance.
Learn How to Use the Infinite Campus Parent Portal
Registration for preschool and kindergarten is now open for the 2021-22 school year. Please note that due to COVID-19, there will be no in-person registration event this year.
If you already have a student in the district, you can enroll your new student through your Infinite Campus parent portal.
READ 15 Challenge! ( in person learners)
We want every student to read at least 15 minutes a day at home! In case you missed the video describing the event, here is the link:
This video, your child's teacher, and your child can tell you all about our plans to improve our school wide reading fluency! Teachers have started calling families to make sure you know the plan. We need your help to make this happen! Students will be acknowledged and have opportunities to earn recognition for their efforts!
Here is a quick slide presentation to show you more about it and the recognition system.
Most importantly, we want students to enjoy reading and increase the time they spend reading for enjoyment. Families need to verify their child's reading on the reading log brought home by their student. Reading is one of the ways we demonstrate sustainability of self! You can read books you own, books from our library, or books from your child's classroom library. Or check out these other free reading resources.
Your student is eligible to apply for preschool if they are turning 3 and/or 4 years old on or before September 15, 2021.
Three-year old preschool is a tuition-paid program of $300 per month. Financial assistance is available for those who qualify based on income at select buildings. There is no fee for 4-year old preschool. Families are responsible for transportation.
Once you complete the registration process, you will receive an email with more information on how to complete your preschool school choice selections. To view preschool locations, please visit here.
For more information about preschool, call 319-558-2549 or email email@example.com.
Your student is eligible to enroll in kindergarten if they are turning 5 years old on or before September 15, 2021.
For more information on kindergarten registration, please call 319-558-2570 or learn more here.
Alternative Kindergarten Registration
As with kindergarten registration, your student must be 5 years old on or before September 15, 2021, to be eligible for alternative kindergarten.
If you indicate your interest for alternative kindergarten in the kindergarten registration form, you will receive an email with more information on how to apply. Interested students will be screened in Spring 2021 to determine eligibility.
For more information on alternative kindergarten, please call 319-558-2247 or learn more here.
Due to COVID, hearing screening will not take place at our school as normal. Grant Wood AEA ( 4401 6th St SW) in Cedar Rapids has scheduled days in 2021 when hearing screenings are available. Please schedule an appt if interested with Jessi Siepman 319-399-6494
Dates include- 1/21, 2/4, 2/5, 3/8, 3/24, 4/6, 4/23, 5/3, 5/18, 6/3, 6/7
- Please call the attendance office at 558-2501 to let us know your child will be absent, late, or leaving early from school. This applies to in person, temporary remote, and remote learners
- For almost daily pictures of activities happening at CRA, please follow our school Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram accounts. Search Cedar River Academy Magnet School.
- Please reach out to your child's teacher or the main office at 558-2477, if you have questions.
City COVID -19 Action Resource Sheet
Due to COVID, hearing screening will not take place at our school as normal. Grant Wood AEA (4401 6th St SW) in Cedar Rapids has scheduled days in 2021 when hearing screenings are available. Please schedule an appt if interested with Jessi Siepman 319-399-6494
Dates include- 1/21, 2/4, 2/5, 3/8, 3/24, 4/6, 4/23, 5/3, 5/18, 6/3, 6/7
Mrs Sanford-Ryan, CRA's School Counselor, and has a website of resources to support wellness. It is found our our School's website. Please check out the resources she has put together
If you signed up for the weekend " Food Backpack" program and you are remote learning, you may pick up your sack of food at CRA on Fridays from 11-1. Call the office at 558-2477 to let us know you have arrived.
211 is a helpline for anyone to connect with local supports and resources. Professionals are trained to quickly assess a caller's need and identify the best solution. It is free, confidential and available anytime. You can learn more at http://www.211Iowa.org or text your zip code to 898211
Phone Support Hours: Families can call 558-2900 for tech support. The help desk phone line will be open for calls from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday-Thursday. On Fridays, phone support will run from 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Family Handbook/ COVID Procedures
- Students in K- 5 may be picked up in front of the school at 3:50. Staff will radio the office and call students out. Please make sure to pull your car forward to the stop sign so more cars can fit into the lane. Having your child's name written on a sign is helpful for staff and makes the process quicker.
- Parking spaces along 5th Ave can be used for arrival and dismissal for black top pick ups in k-3.
- There is no car drop off in front of the school in the morning
- Please park on side streets and walk to the school arrival areas
- The Stopfinder App can be downloaded to assist with location of school busses on routes in real time
- If there should be a 2 hour delay on a Friday, dismissal will be at 3:50 unless otherwise specified.
- When there is a 2 hour delay, there is no breakfast served and students are let in the building at 10:40 am
- Every Friday is an early dismissal at 2:20. This is for both on site and remote learners
- School hours 8:50-3:50 Monday through Thursday. Doors open at 8:30
COVID Quick Bullets-
- Face shields are worn in addition to masks when teachers and students are in close contact with one another such as at small group work.
- Students should wear masks to school.
- Only staff and students are allowed in the school
- Check your email daily for notifications from school regarding changes in learning environments
This is a link to our Family Handbook. This handbook is our traditional information. There are no COVID guidelines or procedures in this handbook.
Below is a link to a documents with the most relevant information regarding coming back to school with COVID procedures
This the link to our more comprehensive Student Return to School for 2020-2021
Please utilize our district's website for further COVID and Technology Resources
Link to School Calendar with Delayed Starthttp://www.cr.k12.ia.us/assets/1/6/Derecho_Impacted_Calendar__09_02_2020_(1).pdf
School Fundraising-We need your support!
- If you shop at Hy-Vee, our school can benefit if you send in your receipts with your child. Our office collects and turns in the receipts. We earned about $600 last school year. This money goes towards recognizing student achievements such as 5th grade promotion.
- CRA can also earn cash from Casey's. If you purchase gas at Casey's, you can enter the school's office number 319-558-2477, and we can get cash rewards!