Ferndale Middle Weekly Update
August 15 - August 19
Week of January 23 - January 27
From the Desk of Our Proud Principal
This is your proud principal, Ms. Kinard, with your weekly updates and announcements.
This Wednesday is our make-up picture day for any student who missed their picture opportunity earlier this year. Also, Thursday marks the end of the 2nd quarter. Teachers will have a workday this Friday to finalize grades, so there will be no school for students on Friday, January 27th. We will share additional information with families regarding after-school opportunities for academic assistance and other student programming. Last week we began our Trojan Boxing Scholars program in partnership with Focus Point 21st Century, which incorporates boxing training, academic support, and a social-emotional learning component. If you have a student interested in participating, don't hesitate to contact Ms. Lee in the counseling department.
FMS Better Together Meeting
Tuesday, January 31st, from 5:30 - 6:00 pm, join us in the FMS media center to review the information gathered from Dr. Oakley's Better Together sessions and provide additional feedback.
This Week in Sports
Please check out our School Calendar on our website for more details about sports.
Thursday (1/26) - Basketball @ Allen Jay/Wrestling vs. Allen Jay
Better Together with Superintendent Oakley
Dr. Oakley is hosting two community conversations in January to gather additional feedback from teachers, staff, parents and community members regarding the strategic direction. Below are the links -
Tuesday, January 24, 2023, • 6:00 - 7:00 p.m.
Dudley High School
1200 Lincoln Street
Greensboro, NC 27401
We are doing everything we can as a district and a school to ensure the ongoing safety of our students. What you can do is:
If your student is sick, kindly keep them at home. Students who exhibit COVID-19 symptoms should stay home on day five and take the COVID-19 test.
Please contact the school immediately if you suspect or can confirm that your student has COVID-19 by calling 336-819-2855 or emailing Ms. Pierce.
From Our Trojan PTA
From Mr. Thompson, IB Program Coordinator
2022 - 2023 FMS Administrative Team
Each member of our administrative team is responsible for supporting a specific grade level.
- Ms. Wilson - 6th Grade Administrator
- Mr. Russell - 7th Grade Administrator
- Mr. Garnett - 8th Grade Administrator
Ms. Kinard - FMS Building Principal
FMS Dress Code
The school dress code will be strictly enforced.
Here are some of the highlights of our policy:
- All tops must cover the entire midsection and extend past the waistband.
- All tank tops must have at least a two-inch strap.
- Spaghetti strap tops, tube tops, backless shirts/dresses, halter, and crop tops are not allowed.
- Dresses, skirts, rompers, and shorts must extend past the wearer’s fingertips when standing. This includes athletic running shorts.
- Pants, shorts, and skirts must be worn at the waist and secured.
- Spandex shorts and/or biker shorts must be worn with long shirts or shorts over top.
- No holes/rips in inappropriate places will be allowed in any clothing. There can be no holes/rips in clothing above the knee unless the student wears leggings or tights under them.
- At no time can undergarments be visible.
- Shoes must be worn at all times.
- No bandanas, bonnets, durags, sunglasses, blankets, or sleepwear of any kind are allowed inside the buildings during the school day.
- Student hoods or hoodies are at the teacher’s discretion, but headphones or earbuds under hoodies is prohibited.
- Sleepwear is not permitted at school. This includes but is not limited to pajamas, pajama pants, slippers, bedroom shoes, and hair bonnets.
The school administration and staff reserve the right to make determinations about the appropriateness of student dress even if it is not specifically listed in the dress code.
For more information please review the FMS Student Handbook.
We believe our scholars are capable of excellence and will hold them to a high standard for academics and behavior.
We are preparing our students for greatness, starting with academics, a positive attitude, and appropriate behavior as described in the GCS Code of Conduct and the FMS Student Handbook.
This year, GCS is going digital with its student handbook. The handbook is located online at www.gcsnc.com under Quick Links. It is also on our school's webpage under the student tab.