Weekly News & Notes - April 29th - May 3rd
Upcoming Events . . .
April 1st - 29th:
- Medical Disposal Program - Safely Dispose of Old Medication
- Kindergarten (AM & PM) - Academy of Natural Science Presentation at Titus
April 29th - June 10th:
- Young Rembrandts' Drawing Classes - Registration Required
- 2nd grade (Gaul & Schorpp) Field Trip - Graeme Park
- Talent Show Auditions/Grades 1- 3 - 3:30 PM - 4:40 PM
- 2nd grade (Brennan & Nero) Field Trip - Graeme Park
- Talent Show Auditions/Grades 4 - 6 - 3:30 PM - 4:40 PM
- 6th grade - PEN Field Trip/Law Day
- Race for Education Movie & Popcorn
- Roxy Readers Charity Dog Walk - 9:00 AM @ Fanny Chapman Pool
- Home & School Association Teacher Appreciation Luncheon
- 4th grade PEN Invention Convention @ Jamison Elementary School
- Home & School Association Flower Sale
- Spotlight on the Arts
- 3rd grade - 6:30 PM @ Titus' Dining Room
- 4th grade - 7:30 PM @ Titus' Dining Room
May 13th - 16th
- Home and School Association Book Fair
CONGRATULATIONS . . .
I would like to send out a HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to the Titus Elementary Reading Olympics teams for a job well done during Tuesday’s (April 23rd) competition at Mill Creek Elementary School. “The Mutant Ninjas” & “Readers on Fire” competed against many other Bucks County Schools and put their reading & comprehension skills to the test. In the end both teams walked away with ribbons and represented the Titus community as true champions!
I also would like to thank all of the parents and staff members for offering their support to our readers. Special thanks to Mrs. Karen Wallace, Mrs. VanVreede, Mrs. Williamson, Miss Braksator, & Miss Gieseler for their efforts in making the Reading Olympics such a great experience for our students.
A new Look . . .
Titus’ library has recently undergone some changes. We have “reorganized” the computer area of the library and added 10 new computers – giving us a total of 30 computers. The new furniture and computers will allow teachers and librarians to instruct an entire class while on PC’s. It also offers a more efficient and effective use of the space. Although the project will be finalized sometime in the early summer months, the “new look” is a welcomed sight to students and staff.
We would like to thank the efforts of all those involved in the project – Mr. Riley (Head Custodian), Mrs. Wilson (Computer Technician/Support), Mrs. Moore & Mrs. Wasserman (Librarians), Mrs. Dougherty (Librarian Assistant), the Central Bucks Facility Department & Dr. Weitzel (Assistant Superintendent). I am looking forward to the new and exciting opportunities this addition will bring to our students.
Save the Date . . .
The details have been finalized for the first annual “Kindergarten Kick-Off" set for August 28th. We are combining kindergarten orientation, Titus open house and “Back to School Night” for all of our 2013-2014 Kindergarten families. The goal is to put together one experience that provides all the information & insight necessary to set the stage for a positive & exciting start to the school year. Complete details can be found for the AM families/students & PM families/students by clicking the appropriate hyperlinks. Due to ongoing enrollment, final placement for AM & PM classes will be made by mid-July.
Help Wanted . . .
Lookout Hollywood . . .
Last Call . . .
To help promote National Nutrition Month, ARAMARK Education is sponsoring a poster contest for students of the Central Bucks School District. The contest ends on Monday April 29th. The top elementary, middle and high school artwork will be chosen by a panel of judges. Each winner will receive a $100 gift certificate. Additional information can be found through the hyperlink above.
- Get Your Plate In Shape
- Eat Right With Color
- Power Up With Breakfast
- Snack Smart
Home & School Association:
Flower Sale . . .
One for the Boys . . .
Join Barclay and Titus for a night of fun and laughs . . . the guys way! The event is a Guys Night Out (boys are invited to bring a Dad or a favorite guy out for a night of fun).
It is $15 per person and it includes three hours at SMG, pizza, soft pretzels, PowerAde/water, a goody bag for each boy and 3 rotational activities...relay races, dodge ball and capture the flag. If you did not RSVP, do not worry. You can simply pay at the door!
For more information please review the form e-mailed earlier this week. All checks need to be made out to John Barclay Home & School Association. If you have any questions please contact Michele Peacock via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We Can't Do It Alone . . .
Mrs. Veith would like to extend a huge thank you to everyone who helped get the 2013 yearbook together. From all the pictures received, to the class collages that volunteers created, to the parents who recorded the hundreds of orders and finally the nitty gritty of gluing things down, the yearbook would not have come together without all of your help. Donna Fischer deserves a special thank you for gathering all the information for the 6th grade portrait pages and putting them together. They look fantastic! Everyone is looking forward to seeing the final product in the coming weeks!
CBSD School Board:
School Board Briefs . . .
At the April 23, 2013 School Board Meeting, the Central Bucks School District School Board:
- Heard the Tamanend Jazz Band performance before the school board meeting and via video, the Pledge of Allegiance was led by Mrs. Kovnot’s 1st grade Jamison class.
- Heard the Academic Spotlight about “Training Peer Mentors”. This is a video created by Lindsay Smith and Renee McErlean, teachers at Bridge Valley Elementary School, along with their students demonstrates what they have learned about Autism and what they have learned about being a friend.
- Heard the Superintendent’s Report, Curriculum, Finance, Human Resources, Operations, IU Board, and MBIT Committee Reports.
- Approved the School Board Minutes.
- Approved the Treasurer’s Report.
- Approved the Resolution for the 2013-2014 Proposed Final Budget. The proposed final budget for 2013-2014 is $290,683,982. There will be a “zero” increase in Real Estate Taxes for the 2013-2014 school year. The school board will take action on the final budget adoption at the May 28 meeting.
- Ratified the transfer of $23 million from the General Fund to the Debt Service Fund.
- Approved Purchasing Items for the following subject areas: General Teaching, General Art, Secondary Art, Physical Education, Science, Tech Ed General Hardware, Team Sports Supplies.
- Approved Construction Contracts as follows: Emergency generator at the Ed Services Center to Pinnacle Electrical Construction - $262,400 - Roofing replacement at the Ed Services Center to Laurant Construction Co. - $199,695 - Roofing repairs and installation of a new single ply membrane at the Transportation Annex to Union Roofing Contractors - $98,000
- Tabled School Board Policies Use of Medications and Electronic Signatures so that the proposed policies can be posted on the CBSD website for public review.
- Approved School Board Policy 902-1 – Cable Television.
- Approved various personnel items and student trips.
- Received a Sabbatical Leave of Absence as an information item.