Manorlu Swim Club
June 16, 2015 Newsletter
It's Official ~ Manorlu is Open with Regular Operating Hours!
Special Welcome to Our New Manorlu Families!
The Manorlu family is thrilled to welcome our newest members. Please extend the warmest welcome to those new faces you see at the pool. Welcome to:
Jillian and Brian Bacher
Abigail and Greg Bartus
Karen and Don Blough
Brian and Carolyn Brady
Lauren and Patrick Brady
Chris and April Brauch
Maura and Zach Campbell
Beth and Joe Dussinger
Joseph and Nicole Ferrante
Kris and Neilly Graves
Ryan and Holly Hamilton
Michael and Anne Marie Haubenstein
Seong and Hyun Hong
Raymond and Maryann Jacobucci
AJ and Katie Juliani
Heather and William King
Daniela Krausz and David Fernandez
John and Laura Held
Phil Martin and Kathy Norris
Robert and Kathryn Moore
Gregory and Kaitlin Moyer
Stacy and Manny Smith
Amy Spencer and Karissa Kelley
Reese and William Stana
Clay and Colleen Stephenson
Welcome to Manorlu's New Snack Bar Operator!!
Keswick Coffee House is located in downtown Glenside at 250 N Keswick Avenue. Please patronize our new provider both at sunny Manorlu and while shopping in Glenside!
Questionable weather? Wondering if the pool is still open?
In the event that we must unexpectedly close the pool due to lots of rain, thunderstorms, or heaven forbid - an accident in the baby pool, a text alert (or and email, if you prefer) will be sent to all subscribers with a Manorlu update. For those who may be familiar - Rained Out is the same service used by the Upper Dublin Soccer Club to notify members of field closures. It's free (text messaging rates apply) and only takes two minutes to sign up using this link:
How often and what kind of messages can you expect to receive? Hopefully we will have a sunny summer and the pool will close infrequently, but here is a sample of possibilities:
- Pool closed for weather (may seem obvious, but it can be raining in Dresher and sunny in Abington... and who wants to make the drive to find the pool closed!)
- Reminder for Manorlu events such as the 4th of July celebration, the Adult Social, Sunday Sundaes, and more.
- Reminder for pool closing for home swim meets
(Note for swim/dive team families: To receive notification of general pool closures and happenings, you must sign up using this link. It is a different account. It covers all Manorlu members and is different from the swim/dive team account. For non-swim/dive team families: This account will not be used to communicate general swim/dive team information.)
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
MegaFitness Challenge is a Mega-Success
Adult Morning Swim Workouts Begin Next Monday
Morning swimmers ~ please sign up for "rained out" notices with the following link: https://www.rainedout.net/team_page.php?a=e6178018be8595616dc8
Revival of the Manorlu Open 400 Meter Swim!
When: Friday July 1st
Where: Manorlu Pool
Who: All Manorlu members
Age Requirement: 5 years old and up
Participation Fee: $10 per swimmer
Manorlu's Float in the Oreland 4th of July Parade
Last year's float was such a success - we're going to do it again this year! The Marketing Committee is looking for a few volunteers to design, build and ride/drive (and throw candy!!) in the Oreland Parade. Our float doesn’t have to be fancy, big or too much work (have a cool Jeep or a pick-up truck?), but we need a little help to make it happen. If you’d like to help, contact Mike Darcy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Secure the Babysitters! The Adult Social is on July 9th!
The adult social will be held on Saturday, July 9th starting at 6:30pm. All adults 21 and older are encouraged to attend this fun night out. Please join us for a catered dinner, music, and fun! Dinner features a grilled assortment of chicken, shrimp and scallop kabobs, and even delicious grilled corn. Cost is $30 per person. This is a BYOB and "bring a friend" event. You do not need to be a member to attend.
But, we need your help. We want to give the caterer an accurate head count, so please signup at the main desk ASAP. Checks can be made payable to Manorlu.
Group and Individual Swim Lessons at Manorlu
It's almost time for group swim lessons!
- When: July 11th – July 22nd (M-Th) from 11:15am-12:00pm
- Fees are $60 per child
- Contact Carolyn Meier with questions - at the pool or via email@example.com
Lessons are offered by "level." Carolyn and the lifeguard instructors will help with level assignments.
Adult and child private lessons are also available. Please contact Carolyn for more information.
Manorlu Mega-Distance Meet
This meet is open to ALL ages and LOCAL swim clubs, that's right, even parents and friends from local swim clubs! It is an invitational meet for swimmers to try different events. 8-10 and unders will swim 50 meter events, and 12 and older will swim 100 meter events. We will even include the 100M and 200M Individual Medleys.
Medals will be given to the top three finishers in each age group and a trophy to the top male and female point scorers. Participation ribbons for all 8 and under swimmers. More details to follow... but mark the date and time: Sunday, July 17th - 8am.
Trivia Night is Moving to July... Mark Your Calendar and Sign Up Early!
Oh yes - Trivia Night is back and we've got two big changes. Trivia Night has made the leap from August to July... and this year's host is Upper Dublin's own teacher and Trivia Master, Mr. Shawn Mcaleer.
So get your competitive juices flowing, start studying and form your team now! MegaTrivia Night is expected to SELL OUT... so sign up early.
- Saturday, July 23rd
- 7-10 pm (doors open at 6:30 pm)
- BYOB and BYOSnacks
- 50/50 raffle and trivia cheats available for purchase
- Prizes awarded for best table theme
- This is a "bring a friend event" - no need to limit your team to Manorlu members - find your smartest friends and bring them along!
- Look for flyers around the pool and sign up information at the main desk.
** Attention Parents - Manorlu will remain open and guarded during Trivia Night - blue and white card holders are welcome to stay and swim until 10pm. Pink cardholders must be accompanied by a WHITE cardholder. Safety is our first concern. If you need a white card babysitter, contact a Manorlu manager or lifeguard for experienced babysitter suggestions. **
Summer Pool Basketball League
Not all the fun at Manorlu happens in the water. Calling all boys and girls entering grades 6 through 8! Manorlu participates in the Summer Pool Basketball League with Maple Manor, Oreland and Sunny Willow. This is a fun, co-ed league and all interested players are welcome. A sign-up sheet will be posted on the main bulletin board. Games are played in the evenings beginning late June and run through the end of July. Game location rotates among the participating clubs. There is a $25 player fee to cover the cost of a team t-shirt and the game officials.
Can't get to the pool, but want to play? Just email firstname.lastname@example.org and provide your child's name, grade (in September), a phone number and email address and we will be in touch!
A couple of notes:
- Each team must have at least one girl on the court at a time. Hoping to get several girls to join us this year!
- This is a fun league. Although we'd love to take home the trophy - more importantly we'd like the kids to have fun and represent Manorlu with good sportsmanship.
- Coach... we are thrilled that member Tom Johnston has agreed to coach our Megaducks again this year! Thanks so much Coach Tom!
- League Representative... Kristin Haas has agreed to help in this capacity. Look for more information in the coming weeks.
We wish our Manorlu hoopsters a fun and successful season!
Thank You to Our MegaFitness Challenge Sponsors!
Volvo Cars of Fort Washington
Edgemont Insurance - John Wisniewski
Bryers Funeral Home (Jeff and Peggy Thompson Family)
The Run Around
Orange Theory Fitness - Willow Grove
Free Shop - Ambler
Merril Lynch - Greg and Beth Hayes
Regan and Rambo
The Run Around
Edgemont Insurance - John Wisniewski
Innovative Print & Media Group, Inc.
Bernard and Marianne Grace
Delligatti & Milewski Orthodontic Group
Tom Murt - PA State Representative
New Waves Salon
Paris Hair Salon
Lisa Keezer, Independent Arbonne Consultant
Manorlu Guest Fees
At Manorlu, we love that you want to share our beautiful pool with your friends and extended family, but please remember that you must pay a guest fee for each guest you bring, each time you bring them, whether they swim or not. You also must be present to have a guest at the pool and are responsible for reviewing "Pool Rules" with your guests. (Pool Rules are posted at the front desk.)
Guest fees are as follows:
- Weekdays: Adults - $6.00, Children under 16 - $4.00
- Weekends & Holidays - Adults - $8.00, Children under 16 - $6.00
- After 6pm: Adults - $4.00, Children - $3.00
Rules for the Deck
Before we can go over the rules for the “deck,” we should first make clear what the deck (or apron as it is referred to in the Rules on the website) actually is. The deck/apron is the concrete area surrounding the pool.
No Running, Wrestling or Ball Playing on the Deck
Because the deck is concrete and falling on it can hurt a lot – we have the no running, wrestling, or ball play rule. If someone is running on the deck, the lifeguard will whistle and provide a warning. Falling on the deck can result is mild to serious injury. We ask your help in following this rule.
No Eating, Drinking or Gum Chewing on the Deck or in the Water.
We kindly ask that any food purchased at Manorlu or brought in to pool grounds be consumed in the snack bar area or in the grassy area surrounding the pool. Food or crumbs left on the deck result in stains, bugs and a yucky, possibly slippery, mess for all the bare feet walking around the pool.
Thank you in advance for your help in keeping Manorlu safe and clean!
Manorlu Sports Equipment
Baby Pool Etiquette
Three very important reminders with regard to the baby pool:
- Please remember that there is no lifeguard watching the baby pool. Parents/guardians must keep a very close eye on our precious little ones.
- We ask parents to help us enforce the age limit at the baby pool. The baby pool is for children five years old and under. For the safety of our littlest members, PLEASE keep true to the baby pool age limit.
- We know it's tempting, but PLEASE DO NOT rinse sandy toys in the baby pool. It not only makes a mess, but it's bad for our newly repaired filtration system.
Clean Bathrooms are Our Goal
Are You an Experienced Social Media User?
Mark Your Calendars for Manorlu Fun
- Thursday, June 16th - Open for Regular Season Hours (12pm - 8:45pm)
- Thursday, June 23rd - Pool Closes Early for Home Swim Meet
- Sunday, June 26th - Sunday Sundaes
- Tuesday, June 28th - Pool Closes Early for Home Swim Meet
- Thursday, June 30th - First Thursday Tube Night of the Summer
- Saturday, July 9th - Adult Social
- Sunday, July 17th - Mega-Distance Meet
- Saturday, July 23rd - Trivia Night Featuring UD's Mr. Mac!
- Sunday, July 24th - Sunday Sundaes
- Sunday, August 28th - Sunday Sundaes
- Sunday, September 4th - Labor Day Festivities!
- Monday, September 5th - Final Day of 2016 Season
Got an Idea for a Newsletter Topic - Email Me!
Social Media and Manorlu
Manorlu is keeping up with the times! To get the latest and greatest information, visit us at www.manorlu.com, friend us on Facebook (Manorlu Club) and follow us on Twitter (@manorluswimclub.) But, in the event that you're not a social media fan, you can still get all the information you need from this newsletter or on the main club bulletin board across from the front desk.