April 25, 20015
Dear Rockstar Parents,
FYI, our classroom water fountain has broken, so as the weather gets warmer you may want to send a water bottle for your child to drink from each day. If you do not have a water bottle let me know and I will pick one up for your child.
As always, your kids amaze me every day and I love being a part of their learning and growing.
*May 1-->permission slips due for our field trip to the planetarium
*May 1--> end-of-year assessments in math and reading begin in the Rockstar Classroom
*May 5--> field trip to the planetarium
*May 8--> permission slips due for our field trip to the Museum of Natural Sciences
*May 14--> field trip to the Museum of Natural Sciences
*May 20--> Field Day
*June 1--> grand opening of the Shops at Froggy Holler (more information comming soon!)
*June 8-12--> last week of school and possible day of our End-of-Year Celebration (finalized date and information coming soon)
*Disinfecting Wipes (ex. Clorox Wipes)
*Snack (ex. dry cereal, crackers, pretzels, fruit, cheese stix)
*Craft supplies and/or craft kits
Rockstars Reading Poems In The Seawell Poetry Slam Jam On Saturday
Lily, Sincere, and Sophie
Our Field Trip To The Rock Quarry...It ROCKED!
Units of Study
• Writers' Workshop --> We have just completed our reviews of the best and worst restaurants, movies, video games, shops, holidays, toys, books and much more. The next couple of weeks are going to be devoted to writing research reports on internal body parts we are interested in learning more about.
• Readers' Workshop--> We have begun our nonfiction study of our amazing bodies! Ask your child what they have learned about the internal parts of the body and be prepared to have you socks knocked off!
• Word Study--> We are working hard on writing for readers in our study of handwriting (lowercase letters) and why it is important.
• Math--> We just completed showing all we know on our mid-year math assessment. During the assessment time we did not have our weekly math challenges, and therefore no homework. We will pick back up on the challenges this Monday. Because of the month gap on practice, do not be alarmed if there is a slight backslide in your child's fluency. This is a pretty normal thing. Next week we will spiral back to place value and dive deeper by adding and subtracting across decade numbers (10, 20, 30, etc.) in an efficient way. We will be working with a hundred chart to strengthen our mental math adding and subtracting multiples of 10 from any number. If you would like a hundred chart to have at home let us know, and we will send one home in your Rockstar's folder.
• Science--> We are currently using our science time as an opportunity to research and conduct demonstrations to better understand the purpose and function of our internal body parts.