Do animals deserve the same rights as humans?
Animal experimentation has been debated over for many, many years now. Lots of people think it is helpful for medical research, cosmetic safety, and many other things that can benefit humans. But with all of these benefits there has to be a cost. Over 100 million animals are killed in lab experiments each year, with numbers still growing.
I believe that animals should be able to be given the same rights as humans for many reasons. First, hurting an animal is almost the same as hurting a person. Animals are close relatives to humans and abusing then is wrong. Also, if there are other techniques available then why waste an animals life when it is unneeded? Instead of violating an animal's rights we can use newly found technology to perform experiments on, and get the same results as we would while testing on an animal. Lastly, animals feel pain just like people do. It is wrong to make them go through that much pain when you might not even get the results you need. So, overall animals deserve the same rights as people, because after all, they are almost just the same as us.
- Americans for Medical Progress. "Medical Progress Depends on Animal Research." Animal Experimentation. Ed. Susan C. Hunnicutt. Detroit: Greenhaven Press, 2013. At Issue. Rpt. from "Animal Research Means Medical Progress." 2012. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 10 Dec. 2015.
- "Animal Experimentation." Opposing Viewpoints Online Collection. Detroit: Gale, 2015. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 8 Dec. 2015.
- Derbyshire, Stuart. "Animal Experimentation Is Justified." The Rights of Animals. Ed. Auriana Ojeda. San Diego: Greenhaven Press, 2004. Current Controversies. Rpt. from "Animal Research: A Scientist's Defense." Spiked. 2001. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 11 Dec. 2015.
- Digital image. N.p., n.d. Web. <http://duongbo.vn/Tag/wallpaper%20HD/>.
- Digital image. N.p., n.d. Web. <http://www.cablefax.com/regulation/comcast-twc-opposition>.
- Digital image. N.p., n.d. Web. <http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3223839/Why-torturing-beagles-puppy-experiment-farm-opens-Boris-Johnson-s-father-demands-know-thousands->.
- Hastings Center Report. Nov2012 Supplement, Vol. 42, PS12-S15. 4p.
- "Rabbit Prior to Experiment." Bioethics for Students: How Do We Know What’s Right? Ed. Steven G. Post. New York: Macmillan Reference USA, 1999. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 11 Dec. 2015. Digital image. N.p., n.d. Web.