Rock Solid Work
Eastside Elementary Improvement Plan
- High Reliability Schools (Survey Results)
- Parent Advisory Council
- Every Student Succeeds ACT (2018-2019 ESSA Scores)
- NWEA MAP
- ACT Aspire Data
- Panther Student Voice team exit interviews/surveys
- Community Meeting
Strengths found in Data Disaggregation
- Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade -Foundational Skills & Vocabulary Development
- 3rd grade - Production of Writing
- 4th and 5th grade - Key ideas and details
- Kindergarten and 1st grade - Measurement and data
- 2nd grade - Geometry
- 3rd grade - Integrating Essential skills
- 4th grade Number and Operations Base ten
- 5th grade - Justification and Explanation
What does our Community value?
Goal 1: By May 2023, Eastside will increase the number of students reading on grade level in each grade K-5 by 10% as informed by MAP/Aspire results, the PAST assessment, and other curriculum-based measures (Acadience/CFAs) through the incorporation of the following strategies: Science of Reading, Hattie, and Marzano.
Goal 2: By May 2023, Eastside will increase the number of students achieving grade level math each grade K-5 by 10% as measured by MAP/Aspire results and other curriculum-based measures (CFAs) through the incorporation of the following strategies: Science of Reading, Hattie, Marzano, and the Mathematical Practices.
Goal 3: In order to improve the overall well-being of our students and staff at Eastside, we will implement child nutrition improvements with additional healthy food choices, take social and emotional learning to scale through Character Strong, and support the health of educators through a focus on heart health.
Keys to Success
- Continued implementation of Science of Reading
- Focus on development of math units for K-5 and professional development opportunities in mathematics
- Continue to explore more avenues for Parental and Community Involvement through our Parental Advisory Committee
- Using our PBIS team, we will focus on behavior needs and positive supports to put in place in all classrooms
- Continue to use the SIT team and the Guiding Coalition to the effectiveness of our teaching model with Marzano and Hattie as well as interventions/extensions
- Continue to use data to make sound decisions for students that are new to Eastside this year
- Continue utilizing Character Strong to meet the SEL needs of students and staff
- Gather data from the Panther Student Voice team to increase the effectiveness of our school as well as their development of a student conflict resolution tool
- Highlight sections of the Covey text, "7 Habits of Highly Effective People" to make staff more productive and effective in their work and daily life
- New Kids on the Block support for all new teachers to our district
- Laser focused on our Celebrations, big and small
Science of Reading
Mrs. Barnett has become a Trainer of Trainers in the Science of Reading. She revisited Science of Reading with our teachers this summer and this was very beneficial. Science of Reading is becoming evident throughout the building. It is no longer isolated in literacy classrooms. Walking through classrooms, you would see evidence of root walls and intentional vocabulary instruction such as the Frayer model and the Wagon Wheel. Teachers are capitalizing on instruction that speaks to the Science of Reading. Sound walls are being used daily by teachers and students. Great attention is being given to Phonological Awareness. We are using the 95% group Phonological Awareness intervention and 95% group Comprehension interventions with our students receiving Tier 3 interventions. Several teachers in 4th and 5th grade are trained in Structures This is a program that compliments our Phonics First to incorporate morphology into grades 3-5 Word Study. Writing Revolution and Empowering Writers are two programs assisting teachers in lesson planning for writing.
We conducted a survey to all teachers to determine their level of comfort with the Science of Reading. We will be using these results to support them this year. While observing classrooms, we will be using the Science of Reading Look Fors document. During these observations we will provide feedback to K-5 and sped teachers on their implementation of Science of Reading. This will help our staff to become proficient in the Science of Reading.
Character Strong Social & Emotional Curriculum
Teachers Lead Professional Development
At Eastside, the majority of training during summer and Back to School PD is led by the teachers. Over the teachers, capacity has been built where teachers are training one another. Mrs. Isom and Mrs. Berry are seen here training the staff on Google Jamboard. This was a book that was purchased for all teachers. Isom and Berry studied the book this summer and presented to the staff how to use this new tool.
Bedtime Books and Routines for Families
Prior to school beginning, Eastside offered an evening for families to stop by and pick up a bedtime book, routines checklist for kids, and an emotional well being brochure. This was to help kids and families start morning and bedtime routines prior to school beginning! We had over 40 families stop by. Following this event, we had the annual haircuts for families and we had about 50 families attend that event.
Transported Back in Time to Ellis Island
Mrs. Salazar's 3rd grade class were transported back to Ellis Island. She partnered with families that came and worked the stations and she was dressed as the Statue of Liberty. Students got to see what it really felt like to arrive on US soil as an immigrant. This is the hook for the text they are reading, "Orphan of Ellis Island".