The North News
Monthly Parent/Student Newsletter - July/August 2022
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL - AUGUST 18
Hello North Families!
On behalf of the faculty and staff at Mustang North Middle School, welcome to the 22-23 school year! We are looking forward to seeing our students' smiling faces back in the hallways soon!
This year promises to be filled with many opportunities for all of our students. Our main goal is to provide a high quality education in a safe and supportive learning environment to ensure that every student achieves their highest potential. Please encourage your student to get involved in one or more of our extra-curricular activities this year! Research shows that participation in student activities increases GPAs, graduation rates, and post high school opportunity success rates. It practically eliminates the likelihood that a student will choose to dropout of school. We have a variety of athletic opportunities, performing arts programs, along with several clubs and organizations. Information about these opportunities can be found on our website throughout the year.
We are very excited about the school year ahead and are looking forward to working with you in providing enriching experiences for your child. As principals, our doors are always open, and we welcome your input. Please feel free to email, call or make an appointment to come in to discuss any concerns, suggestions, or ideas to help make this the best year yet!
Christy Bradley, Principal
Katy Korstjens, 7th Grade Assistant Principal
Kameron Hill, 8th Grade Assistant Principal
7th Grade Student Orientation - Wed, August 10 10:00 a.m. - Noon
We are very excited to invite our incoming 7th grade students to the 7th grade Orientation Day on August 10, 2022. Our school participates in a nationwide WEB (Where Everyone Belongs) program that we call TAG (Together Achieving Greatness). The founding organization’s sole
purpose is to help 7th graders feel more comfortable as well as help them achieve success in their first year of middle school.
The 7th grade orientation will be a fun 2 hours of activities that are designed to help our incoming 7th graders learn more about they can expect this year at MNMS as well as answer questions they may have. The orientation will be led by our TAG teachers and student leaders. The student leaders for MNMS are students who were hand selected from a large pool of applicants and have met the qualifications of being a good role model and a positive leader on our campus.
Details about the day...
- Schedules cannot be picked up this day. They need to be picked up on Schedule Pickup Day on August 11 or in the front office during the days August 12, 15-17.
- Students should be dropped off and picked on the east side of the building at Door #12.
- All incoming 7th grade students are strongly encouraged to attend, but it is not a mandatory event.
- Please do not bring backpacks, purses or other like items as the day is quite active.
- Because the day is active, students should wear comfortable clothing that does not restrict movement.
- Students will gather in the gym for both large and small group activities as well as have an opportunity to tour the building.
- This is a student only function - we encourage you to let your child attend on his /her own.
Schedule Pick-Up Day - Thursday, August 11
This is not for our Virtual students...see information at the end.
Please try to attend during your designated time. Park & enter on the east side of the building.
A - G: 11:00 a.m. - 1:20 p.m.
H - O: 1:20 p.m. - 3:40 p.m.
P - Z: 3:40 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
(If you can't come during your designated time earlier in the day, please come 5:00-6:00 p.m.)
No Schedule changes are made during schedule pick-up.
*YOU MUST PRESENT ONE FORM OF PROOF OF RESIDENCY IN ORDER TO PICK UP YOUR SCHEDULE* (Gas/electric/water bills, mortgage/lease agreement from July/August. Does NOT include phone/cell/cable bills.)
7th grade students are required to have the Tdap shot.
***Students will not be given a schedule unless updated shot records are previously on file or provided at the time of schedule pick-up.***
Note: The OSDH Mobile Immunization Clinic will be set up in the parking lot behind Riverwood Elem and in front of Central MS on Aug 11 from 11:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. for any MPS student who needs to get their required immunization(s).
You will be able to:
- Pay the student fee ($20). Beginning August 5, this can be paid prior to schedule pickup online through your ParentPortal InTouch Account . Please bring a copy of your receipt with you or have a picture of the receipt on your phone if you pay online. This fee is used to cover numerous classroom needs throughout the year. (materials and equipment used for classroom activities, consumable materials for classrooms, technology needs, student incentives and rewards, and much more.)
- 7th Grade - Turn in TDap shot records if you haven't already done so.
Return lost books or pay fees (credit card, check, or correct change only) for non-returned books from the 2021-2022 school year.
- Add money to lunch account. Free & reduced lunches online application is at www.schoollunchapp.com.
See bus route information.
Walk the building to locate classrooms (teachers will not be in their classrooms)
For those who cannot come at all on August 11, the front office will be open on August 12 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.. August 15-17, the daily office hours will be 8:10 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Student Fee Information
As every parent knows, our elementary and intermediate schools typically have school-wide fundraisers to provide funds for numerous school needs. These needs include materials and equipment used for classroom activities, consumable materials for the classrooms, technology needs, student rewards, and more. Over the years, middle school administration has received many comments from parents who were tired of these and would prefer to simply contribute the money they would spend themselves on the fundraiser.
As a result, school-wide fundraisers at the middle school level have been replaced with a student fee. We are asking parents to pay a $20 student fee for the 2022-2023 school year.
Our hope is that it simplifies your life by eliminating the school-wide fundraisers and the fees that have typically been associated with some classes.
NOTE: If your child is involved in extracurricular activities such as athletics, band, vocal, etc., there will still be some program-specific fundraisers your child may be asked to participate in order to raise funds specifically for that program.
THE AUGUST 5 SCHEDULE PICK-UP DAY IS NOT FOR OUR VIRTUAL STUDENTS.
MNMS Open House - August 29 - 5:00-6:30 p.m.
Fall School Picture Day - August 31
Labor Day - NO SCHOOL - September 5
PD/Teacher Collaboration Days - NO SCHOOL - September 15 & 16
Parent Conferences - September 22 & 27 4:30-7:00 p.m.
First Day of School - Thursday, August 18
- Students will need to have paper, folder/binder, pen/pencil with them on the first day of school. As for the rest of their supplies, the students should just bring what they have room to bring. The rest of the supplies can be brought on Friday.
- Students will be leaving many of the supplies in their core classes. Teachers will give students specific direction on what to keep and what to turn in.
- If your student rides the bus, please be sure he/she knows what their BUS NUMBER is so they will know what bus to look for after school! We also ask for your patience during the first few days. There will be delays with buses both before and after school, but it will improve within the first week!
- For bus riders, please be aware that busses will likely run late for morning pick-up and afternoon drop-off for the first few days of the year.
- The school day is 8:40 am - 3:35 pm. Please do not drop your student off earlier than 8:10. Students are not let in the building prior to 8:10 throughout the school year because there is no adult supervision available prior to this time.
Stay informed throughout the year by checking our website and social media pages regularly!
BUS ROUTE INFO - AVAILABLE BEGINNING AUGUST 10
Routes - To access route information, simply go to elink.mustangps.org. Be sure to uncheck the box next to “Authenticate using Network Credentials.” Then enter the username of mustang, and the password is guest.
If your address is NOT populating in the finder, please call our district office for assistance at (405) 376-2630.
As always, we appreciate your patience with our team each year as our school district continues to grow and new neighborhoods are established.
Safety - Please take a moment to review this to view an Infographic on Oklahoma Bus Laws. Drive Safely!