EV Staff News
May 28, 2019
Our vision is to be a Healthy and Literate Community!
End of Year
Thank you all for your dedication and hard work this year and always. We have been faced with some challenging times as a community and district. Teaching is a stressful job and more and more research is confirming what we have known for years as practitioners. Self care is something I am focusing on for myself and am offering to you as a support. Again, I thank you all for your dedication to our students and families. Each of you have been an inspiration to me to be a better leader and I am grateful for your trust and support.
We are saying good-bye to some amazing people at El Verano. Craig, Pat, Laurie Pile, Janine and Chris have all had a profound effect on us as a school and community. We wish them all the best and look forward to hearing about their adventures.
My goals for next year are the following:
Focus on EL and RSP students academic achievement
Providing self care options for staff
Focus on positive support for behavior for students
Offer in class mindful support for students
Provide a systematic process for referrals to mental health providers
All of these goals are in collaboration with others and are inservice to creating better conditions for staff and students. You all deserve to feel appreciated and supported. That is my goal for next year!!
Have an amazing summer!! Rest and rejuvenate!
Last Week Schedule
3rd grade play
Preschool Graduation at Altimira 5pm
9am to 9:30am - K-4 Awards Ceremony
9am to 10:30am - 5th grade Promotion and Awards Ceremony (all are invited to attend, it is optional)
11am - 5th grade celebration
1pm - Dismissal
1. Meet and Greet on August 20 for the team and parents. This is so parents can meet their case manager and learn their IEP date
2. Co-writing goals for students with gen ed and sped teachers
3. Meeting with Maite and IEP team the morning of IEPs so I am informed of goals and potential issues ahead of parent meeting
4. Goals for the IEPs are more in line with outcomes for Readers and Writers
One hope is that this work will help support students, families and staff. Our special education students are all our responsibility! This has been a huge area of growth for me and I look forward to offering more support to all!
Laura Van Dernoot Lipsky (repeat)
1. Get your heart rate up and sweat 6 times a week!
2. Practice gratitude...
3. When you are washing dishes, folding laundry or stopped at a red light check in with yourself.
- How much caffeine am I using?
- Am I over scheduled or busy?
- I am too critical?
- How much sugar am I eating?
- How much screen time am I doing?
- What are my current barriers?
- Am I isolating?
- Am I principal/mom at home? (Cameron has said that to me more than once)
She delivers her message with humor, compassion and an understanding of what it is like to work in our field.
Great Resources About Trauma in Children and Vicarious Trauma (repeat)
Up Coming Events
Tues. 4 Preschool Grad
Wed. 5 On your own
Wed. 5 Awards Assembly
Thurs 6 Promotion
Fri. 7 Teacher Work day and staff party at Barb and Dan's
Thurs. 13 Elementary Principals
Fri. 14 Principals TK-12
Mon 17- Fri 22 - Catherine, Gabi, Nora, Gen and Maite at TC
Mon 25 - Fri 29 - Maite in and out of office
Fri. 9 Restructuring Team 9am & New Teacher Orientation
Mon. 12 & Tues.13 PBIS training
Wed. 14 Staff Development, Welcome Back BBQ for Families 6pm
Thurs. 15 Teacher Work Day
Fri. 16 Welcome Back and Planning
Mon. 19 First Day of School - Minimum Day, Staff check in 2pm
Tues. 20 Meet and Greet Special Ed Staff 8:30am, Minimum Day
Wed. 21 Minimum Day, Grade Level (on your own)
Fri. 23 Staff Party 4pm
Mon. 26 Grade Level 3:30, Staff Meeting 4pm
Wed. 28 Grade Level 1:55pm
Fri. 30 Family BBQ, ELAC 6pm