The Cardinal Connection
Week of October 12th
At J.O. Wilson Elementary School, we are SOARing to success every day in every way by creating an environment in which joy, pride, positive interactions, and growth mindsets lead students to comfort in taking risks, self-advocating, and facing adversity
Oct. 11th: Indigenous Peoples Day Holiday Observed/No School for Students or Staff
Oct. 12th: PTA General Body Meeting (voting for open PTA Board positions) @ 6 pm
Oct. 13th: DCIAA Elementary & Middle School Meet @ 12:00 pm
Oct. 19th: DCPS Parent University...Prepare Your Child for College: College Prep Resources and How to Get them! @5:30PM
Oct. 20th: DCPS Creating Safe School Environments Townhall @5 PM
Oct. 22nd Fall Festival
Oct. 26th: DCPS Parent University...The DCPS Journey to Become a Whole-Child Centered, Anti-Racist District @ 5:30 PM
Oct. 26th: DCIAA Elementary & Middle School Championships @ 1:00 pm
Oct. 27th: Principal Chit Chat@6PM
JOIN THE CARDINAL COMMUNITY FOR J.O. WILSON FALL FESTIVAL ON OCTOBER 22.
- Pumpkins and pumpkin decorating starting at 4:00 p.m.
- Dance party 5:00-6:00 p.m.
- Games and activities
- Movie night on the field - Disney’s Coco - starting at 6:15 p.m.
*To pre-order pumpkins, please submit this form by Friday, Oct. 15th.
*We need volunteers!! Complete this form to help out.
A Few Enhancements To Share...
Over the past few months, we have been adding a little color to the walls and adding a few kid-friendly graphics to spruce up our school environment a bit. We are excited to share with our families some images of this work. To see the excitement, the bright eyes glowing, and the precious smiles on our students and staff members faces when they returned back to school this past Tuesday were PRICELESS. Big thanks to Communities in Schools for supporting and assiting in getting this accomplished for JOW. We are only scratching the surface as we have a few items being installed in the coming months. #StillSOARing
Upcoming DCPS COVID 19 Updates and Parent University Townhalls
Oct. 19 at 5:30 p.m. — Prepare Your Child for College: College Prep Resources and How to Get them!...Oct. 26 at 5:30 p.m. — The DCPS Journey to Become a Whole-Child Centered, Anti-Racist District
A Few Arrival and Dismissal Reminders...
Thank you so much for your cooperation as we continue to streamline and fine-tune arrival and dismissal. Each week has gotten a little better, and with your cooperation, we know it will go even more smoothly. Thank you all for adapting and keeping our children safe. As we continue to make this process better, please see below for a few reminders.
To keep the lane open for Kiss and Go, parking is prohibited in the orange cones on K Street during morning drop-off.
- Plan ahead. Encourage your children to gather their belongings (book bags, ask ask look form, lunches etc.), in the car before arriving in the Kiss and Go lane.
- Proceed as far as you can in the coned-off section in front of the school on K Street
- Remain in your vehicle. A Kiss & Go staff person will open the car door & help your child exit the car.
- Exit the Kiss & Go lane with care. Please pay attention to the flow of traffic on K Street before exiting the coned section.
Kiss & Go Donts
- Do not drop off students in the middle of K Street in front of the school. Remember, PEASE no double parking at any time.
- Do not allow students to exit the car on the driver's side of the vehicle in the Kiss and Go lane.
- Do not drop off PreK3 and PreK4 students at Kiss & Go. PreK3 and PreK4 students use a separate entrance and have to be walked to the door by an adult.
- As a reminder, our regular dismissal now takes place on the playground and field area.
- Parents can enter using the gate on 6th Street or the main playground gate on K Street.
We will unlock and use both the 6th street gate by the field and the main playground gate at 3:15.
Students who are independent walkers can only exit using the main playground gate. Students will not be permitted to exit using the 6th street gate without an adult.
We ask that parents and families please wear a mask during dismissal and remain socially distant by maintaining 6 feet apart and please do not double park on K Street
Early Dismissal During The School Day and for After-Care
For After-Care early dismissal, we kindly ask that parents please wait until 4:00 PM, as students are transitioning and getting settled into their after-care locations and staff persons are still settling the students in to start After-Care programming.