Summer Study Opportunites
Would you like to make your summer more meaningful?
High School Students
For over 100 years, Carnegie Mellon has offered students unique and hands-on educational programs from the fine arts to technology and everything in between. Through the Carnegie Mellon Pre-College Program, rising juniors and seniors in high school have the opportunity to experience this world-class education.
Mirroring the undergraduate experience, our Pre-College program gives students the opportunity to explore their interests while receiving instruction from acclaimed Carnegie Mellon faculty and staff. Students will also participate in a robust outside of the classroom experience.
Our summer Pre-College program options include the following:
- Summer Session, students take two full-length Carnegie Mellon courses in a variety of disciplines, ranging from Computer Science, History to Music Technology.
- Summer Academy for Math and Science, provides students from underrepresented communities the opportunity to achieve skills to pursue and complete majors in STEM fields.
- National High School Game Academy, for students who want to learn about modern video game development through a unique blend of left- and right-brain college-level work.
- Computational Biology, a three-week program for students looking to learn more about the intersection of the two disciplines.
- Unique programs in the Fine Arts - Architecture, Art, Design, Drama or Music – in which the students experience developing their skills in a conservatory or studio setting.
- Writing & Culture is our new program this year. Guided by the mentorship and instruction of our highly distinguished, permanent faculty members, students will improve their ability to analyze complex, ever-changing problems through astute investigations of culture and society.
Students may apply for the program here.
If you have any questions, please contact us.
Assistant Director, Enrollment Management
Carnegie Mellon Pre-College Programs
Education Through Exploration
SPI study abroad programs incorporate both classroom academics and travel exploration. From visits to world-class museums to magnificent hikes through lush mountains and tropical rain forests, SPI students explore the most important monuments, cities, and natural wonders each country has to offer. Weekend and cultural day excursions help students dynamically use the language of study and immerse themselves within the local community.
What is Summer Discovery?
Summer Discovery is a pre-college enrichment program for high school and middle school students that combine academics with fun, activities, and sports. Courses are taught by university faculty. Students experience college life while gaining independence, self-confidence, and social skills. For 53 years, we’ve helped more than 100,000 students learn and grow. We can't wait for you to join us.
Have you selected your Duke University Summer Session program and course?
Experience an exclusive Duke-based STEM program! Take part in behind-the-scenes tours of Duke’s premier research labs, learn from Duke faculty, and do your own hands-on labs! Apply to Duke University Summer Session’s Accelerated STEM Academy today!
Learn how to solve pressing issues using strategies from experts across disciplines by applying to Duke’s Solving Global Challenges. Develop the tools you need to become a true change-maker!
Discover more about these programs and others on our website. Apply early as these popular classes fill quickly!
Nicki Charles, Ed.D.
Director of Summer Session for High School Students